turbo noise or exhaust leak?
04-21-2024, (Subject: turbo noise or exhaust leak? ) 
RE: turbo noise or exhaust leak?
(04-21-2024 )tree98 Wrote:  The reason the bolts break is usually because the bolt holes in the manifold aren't big enough. There's an ancient TSB regarding this and also mentioned on this forum somewhere.

Don't try to take the slip joints apart that isn't your problem. The only way I've ever been able to get them apart is with a LOT of heat and then they don't ever like to seal back up again.

Center holes were reamed by Rawze in 2020 during inframe. Required/recommended anti-sieze applications were performed then as well. There have been absolutely zero exhaust leaks in the last 3.5 years and now only #1 is leaking slightly with 2 broken bolts. #6 has one broken bolt and shows no signs of leaking.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read on this forum, lack of movement in the slip joints IS the leading cause of broken bolts on #1 and #6, like I have. I was going to order new seals for the slip joints, all new bolts and spacers, along with all new gaskets (they may be reusable, but the cost is minimal compared to my labor should a used gasket not reseal properly).

Seriously, I'm trying to learn, not argue. If I'm misunderstanding something please correct me. My only real automotive knowledge has come from hands on experience working on this truck/engine and reading this forum (and youtube, though that's not so much for information as it is for a visual reference to descriptions on here and quickserve).

-

One complication I ran into this morning is the pressure tube that connects to the #1 pipe is stripped. Best I can tell the threads in the pipe are messed up and chewed up the tube threads. Can this be reliably fixed with the correct sized tap run through the threads or will I be better off replacing that section?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: turbo noise or exhaust leak? - JimT - 04-21-2024

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.