turbo noise or exhaust leak?
06-06-2024, (Subject: turbo noise or exhaust leak? ) 
RE: turbo noise or exhaust leak?
Well, that was a pain in the...

Had to drill out the broken turbo mounting stud (the rear stud on the turbo itself). It was a slow process. got it drilled all the way through, nearly dead center and while using the extractor it snapped off again partway into the threaded hole. further attempts at extraction were futile and nearly damaged the existing threads. So as a last resort I drilled it out the remaining stud fragment to the proper size and retapped the hole. M10 1.5 Slow work but it did the trick. Reassembled and torqued.

I'll be taking her out in a couple days for a 300 mile trip empty and a 300 mile return trip with 6,000 lbs on the trailer. After tapping the new threads were not as tight as the original. I'm concerned it won't hold long term.

What are my options to repair this, should it fail? Would a helicoil work in this application with high temp studs? Is there a better solution? Are I just overly paranoid?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: turbo noise or exhaust leak? - JimT - 06-06-2024

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.