DPF cleaning
12-10-2016, (Subject: DPF cleaning ) 
RE: DPF cleaning
(12-05-2016 )bigbluebinder Wrote:  Can i clean my own DPF? I have a prostar 2015 model ISX 485 275K on the Odo. engine was rebuilt @237K due to oil consumption under warranty. Cam was flaking off-so new cam and bearings, new fuel pump, new oil pump, new rods and mains, plus new pistons, rings and liners. DPF pressure was ok then. DPF has never been cleaned.... Just thinking it is about time to clean it.

I used to clean my DPF with an air hose and a blowgun. I know it is not as effective as getting it professionally cleaned, but I think you ca get away with it if you find yourself in a pinch.

I was always careful not to put the blowgun too close to the ceramic outlet side for fear I might crack the DPF internally. I believe the internal structure is very fragile. Also I disagree with having it baked, only do that if the professionals say it needs it. Also I prefer to get my DPF cleaned at a dealer like Frightliner or Kenworth or Peterbilt. They use an AirKnife cleaning system which I think is more effective than the way Cummins does it. They just simply blow air through it. However, the airknife method might be more risky to damaging the DPF internally, than just blowing air through it all at once. I believe the air pressure that the professional cleaners use is 28 psi.

As for the DOC, you can clean that yourself, use an air gun.

Also you will likely need to get your truck connected to a PC and have a DPF maintenance reset done to tell the ECM that the DPF was cleaned.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
DPF cleaning - bigbluebinder - 12-05-2016,
RE: DPF cleaning - Rawze - 12-05-2016,
RE: DPF cleaning - joed2323 - 12-05-2016,
RE: DPF cleaning - Rawze - 12-06-2016,
RE: DPF cleaning - EricB - 12-10-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.