timing and metering actuators
11-27-2017, (Subject: timing and metering actuators ) 
RE: timing and metering actuators
(11-27-2017 )3_milly871 Wrote:  Heres what the actuators look like after removing them from the ifsm first photo is the metering actuator(3 holes) in the center and the second is the timing actuator (2 holes) in the center

In Post #6 ...

It is not normal for them to be that cached up with crud between the actuator and the IFSM. Is that silicone sealant? or some other substance? -- or has the gaskets deteriorated that badly?

In Post #8 ...

That seems to be quite a lot of step wear on the shanks of the plungers on a couple of them.

(11-27-2017 )3_milly871 Wrote:  ...
i put the actuators back together and did a ohm test to make sure that the metering plates were completely flush while looking in the fuel journals...

....if you have high resistance in any of these actuators there is definitely sludge, small debris, or maybe the metering screw as backed off a bit inside creating a situation..

In Post #9 ...

This post kinds implies that you would get a different electrical resistance on an ohm meter if the plungers inside the actuator were not in all the way mechanically. Not sure what you were saying here but i do know that electrical coils will not change resistance based on what metal they have inside them on an ohm meter. I.E. > You could have had them completely apart and only the coil in your hand and they would show the same resistance as if they were completely assembled.

You are also right though in some sense. The electrical coil component (top portion of the actuator) itself sometimes leak and saturated with fuel as they go bad. The body of the coil portion sometimes goes bad and cracks, then fuel and contaminants seeps into the coil itself. The fuel attacks the insulating materials of the coil itself, changing its resistance and usually shorting it out or causing tarnishing/corrosion of the windings. This in fact can be seen on an ohm meter.

-- All in All -> Your statement is valid for checking them and making sure they are electrically sound,.. only the methodology behind the resistance changing based on where the internal components are sitting was a bit wonky and unclear when I read it. You very well could have performed this test with them completely disassembled and only the coil portion in your hands.

Not trying to create an argument,.. just trying to clarify for others that may be reading all this and trying to learn.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: timing and metering actuators - Rawze - 11-27-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.