Fixed Vane vs Variable Geometry Turbochargers...
09-19-2017, (Subject: Fixed Vane vs Variable Geometry Turbochargers... ) 
RE: Fixed Vane vs Variable Geometry Turbochargers...
I cannot speak to theories in regards to turbochargers as my knowledge is weak. What I can tell you is my real world experience which of course could be flawed data.

My 08 Prostar runs a dedicated crude oil haul in Alberta hauling super b. 140,000lbs/63,500kg. There are over 40 trucks on this exact same run who for years have done the exact same thing every single day, no variations besides weather and driving habits. There is a group of us who all have the 871 and mine and a friends have drawn some attention because everyone wants to know why/how we get such great fuel mileage. My friend is running Bridgestone 775 and i still have my bdr-w on yet we get better mileage then guys running great rolling resistance tires and aero trucks as well.... Why?

We both have the small 2733 cpl engine's with the small turbos. The other guys have the 525+ big cpl engine, a couple have turbo deletes and a couple don't, one guy has a small cpl and a turbo delete.

Now I will mention that we are 50% empty so maybe that comes into play, maybe not but all I know is I spend 450 to 500 a day in fuel while every single other guy in this group spend 600.

Last year when I had good rolling tires on, it was even better. Whatever the reason, I have yet to see a turbo deleted truck do better then mine, fuel mileage or pulling wise, my jakes are better also so I just cannot justify getting rid of my vgt. For me, my fuel mileage doesn't really change if I run 500hp or 625. I've done both for extended times, I really.like the higher horsepower with these weights, especially with the hills in winter but mpg wise it doesn't seem to make much of A difference.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ckhauler

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fixed Vane vs Variable Geometry Turbochargers... - Brock - 09-19-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.