Any Metalurgists out there?...
08-19-2018, (Subject: Any Metalurgists out there?... ) 
RE: Any Metalurgists out there?...
(08-19-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Not a metallurgist, but I do know that with something in a fire like that, there are a lot of variables. Just because the wheels melted doesn't mean the rest of the frame hit 1200F. The tires burning produces enough local excess heat to do that. Metal harness can be checked, but I don't know how they do it, or if it can be done in the field? Wiring intact, as in still has insulation, or the copper is still there?
You can do a Brinell test for hardness of metal and it can be done in field. From my research Metal is good up to 450 degrees at 600 degrees it starts taking a toll and as temps increase its fairly significant. The copper was still there most of insulation was gone, some of the braided air hose was there and the spring with chain that you pull for pin on neck was there (its relatively small). I have backed away for the reasons that Rawze voiced but its still available. Early this week it goes for scrap.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any Metalurgists out there?... - imalumberjack - 08-19-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.