For the new guys, Winter is coming, Don't be a VICTIM!
10-10-2019, (Subject: For the new guys, Winter is coming, Don't be a VICTIM! ) 
RE: For the new guys, Winter is coming, Don't be a VICTIM!
(10-10-2019 )eggtrucks Wrote:  
(10-10-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  Same with your brake chambers and slack adjusters, been there and done that, still suffering physically from that brake chamber event down at Rawze's.

What was the brake chamber event???

The brake chamber event... Oh God... Prior to heading to Rawze's house for that in frame, I had the passenger side front drive axle brake chamber fail. I was under a load, and had to have it fixed ASAP. As is normal, I was right there at my favorite local TA truck stop in Dexter MI when it gave way. I only had one replaced, instead of both on that axle...

Wound up in Georgia at Rawze's literally two weeks later, after installing a new air compressor on my motor, dead of winter in my Michigan driveway, froze my rear end off... I had bigger fish to fry at that point, blown head gasket, blown air compressor and air dryer. That brake chamber was the last thing on my mind...

Made it to Rawze's house, completed the in frame, went to test drive the truck, it is summer now, LOL... We were heading South on I-75 just North of Jackson GA, where the truck stops are, when BANG! SLAM! SHIIIIIT!

Pulled to the shoulder, Rawze was pissed, LOL! We had no tools to speak of, both took turns trying to back off the broken chamber... We were jumping all around, I twisted my knee pretty good jumping out of the truck... We got her fixed, Rawze put some hot sauce on it and we were rolling...

That event took out four tires, and of course the brake chamber... It was a mess. We went and serviced the truck at Speedco, that is where we were headed when the chamber blew apart... Got her back to Rawze's and drank beer. Rawze ran me up to Global Truck Parts the next day, bought all new plug and play Haldex brake chambers, a complete set of Meritor slack adjusters, all new air brake lines, etc.

I took the truck to Western Tire, up the road from Rawze's house, had them install everything along with four new tires, etc. AND I was not about to get back under that truck! LOL! Anyways, that was one expensive test ride...

Like I said, one chamber goes, replace both, or all six if need be. If they are old, and one fails, the rest are sure to follow, and in my case, it did. It was around a $4000 ordeal when all said and done. Not the way to end my stay at Rawze's house, and my knee is still a mess.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: For the new guys, Winter is coming, Don't be a VICTIM! - Waterloo - 10-10-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.