Electrical wiring
01-11-2020, (Subject: Electrical wiring ) 
RE: Electrical wiring
(01-11-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(01-11-2020 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  
(01-10-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Depending on the age of the truck, mine is ten, and I have seriously thought about purchasing a new engine harness. Those wires eventually go green, and there will come a time when these harnesses are no longer available...
I had a lot of whacky issues with gauges last year, it all pointed to no communication from the ECM to the truck. Truck ran fine, drove fine, but at least 8 gauges like speedo and tach were dead. Changed the engine harness myself, about $1400, fixed everything.

The OP said he’s not having issues, but for me my harness was probably 15 years old and I felt that was a smarter way to go.

If the truck is a keeper, being proactive and purchasing a new harness while they are still readily available is a smart thing to do in my book, because eventually these harnesses do get old, brittle and green. When that day comes, and you realize it is time, only to find out that they are no longer available... Then what do you do? Then you have a real mess on your hands. I would purchase now, and at least have it in reserve, because that day will eventually get here, especially if you run up north.
Agreed. I may look into the Cummins side of things to change that one out, too

On newer trucks where sensors are reading milliamps I would think that the harness and plugs is even more crucial to having them run right

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Electrical wiring - JimT - 01-10-2020,
RE: Electrical wiring - RyanC - 01-10-2020,
RE: Electrical wiring - DDlighttruck - 01-11-2020
RE: Electrical wiring - JMBT - 01-11-2020,
RE: Electrical wiring - Rawze - 01-11-2020,
RE: Electrical wiring - Rawze - 01-11-2020,
RE: Electrical wiring - JimT - 01-11-2020,
RE: Electrical wiring - JimT - 01-11-2020,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.