How much gear lube to add?
07-10-2016, (Subject: How much gear lube to add? ) 
RE: How much gear lube to add?
Well that was clearly a loaded question lol. Thanks so much for the overwhelming response and valuable input. Anywho, sorry it took me so long to get back, I was running hard on regional stuff to get home and didn't get around to replying until now.

So I wasn't questioning the validity of Rawze's claims, just pondering the appropriate amount for me to add. I actually agree with him completely due to my experience in the performance world and running an engine with a shim on bucket valvetrain. Our top ends need all of the additives they can get, especially zinc.

My initial reaction was also that the 18" spec sounds rather high. Any insight as to what the safe upper limit is and if 4.5" truly is a very tight engine?

-mandate is still on for now, buying a Nexiq and pyrometer in the next week or so to fix that
-I've done a basic cleaning egr tune up, buying sensors as soon as I can pick them up this week
-overhead is high up on my list but I am chasing a problem right now so it's going t be after that
-picked up a gallon of the Sta Lube GL-4 at Napa for $25 today, a nice surprise as it said $35 online and ended up being cheaper than amazon
-a bypass filter is also high on the list but I'm not sure which one to buy, iirc the OPS has something to evaporate fuel in the oil which could help seeing as I idle a fair amount...but dang that thing is pricey

That's funny you should mention the turbo Rawze because I think it's going out. I've had an intermittent squeal that I thought was a boost or exhaust leak. After getting an EGT 1 CEL I found a leaking ex man gasket so I replaced the set but the squeal is still there. Tested for boost leaks today and I have a couple of small ones, the coupler between the manifold egr pipe and the crossover tube and one little guy on the cac. I believe the turbo is going out though because I've been analyzing the squeal and now that I'm home in the Rockies I got some hard data. It only does it once it gets hot after a long hard climb like Vail or Eisenhower and once I start going back down with the Jakes on full it squeals from 20psi up. Giving it fuel it only makes a quick squeak as I pass 15-20psi. Also on these long pulls I finally saw a decrease in boost that got down to 20 at times, mostly 25-30 though(as opposed to the normal 38 when I'm giving it the beans). So if I understand correctly this should be the vanes sticking and I would have to have a special tool kit to clean and re-align them...so I figure I may as well just buy a new turbo, unless of course I can in fact clean them. Of course I'll test the actuator once I get the Nexiq but I have a feeling it's the turbo. Especially seeing as I have a bit too much in side play on the pressure side(haven't opened the back yet).

I'm curious as to what you meant about the turbo making the blow-by Rawze? Because the way I see it the only way the turbo could be responsible for blow-by is if it were overboosting. I have never seen mine do that.

As for the CAC, is the opinion still that OEM is best and does that apply to Paccar truck as opposed to this forum's beloved Internationals?

Oh and thanks for the tip on the amount Waterloo, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I can't believe that didn't cross my mind, it makes perfect sense. I guess because this whole gear oil in the engine thing is new to me.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
How much gear lube to add? - Pirate_Freder - 07-06-2016,
RE: How much gear lube to add? - Pirate_Freder - 07-06-2016,
RE: How much gear lube to add? - Pirate_Freder - 07-10-2016
RE: How much gear lube to add? - Pirate_Freder - 07-10-2016,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.