Fresh start up questions
04-02-2021, (Subject: Fresh start up questions ) 
RE: Fresh start up questions
(04-01-2021 )dhirocz Wrote:  So, hopefully tomorrow is the day. After over a month of inframing my 871, resealing everything and repainting everything I get to fire it up tomorrow. It's been a painful experience, mostly due to parts delays, but still a rewarding experience nevertheless.

Tomorrow I plan on dumping my old oil into it and after finishing up a few things, firing it up. I'll run it for 5 minutes to leak check it and bleed the steering gear, then I've got a bridge to pull nearby with a loaded trailer before I come back to change the oil. Figured I'd run it locally for 2-3 weeks, (no overnight idling) change it and the bypass filter, run the overhead again and be on my way.

If I remember correctly, I read something on here about making sure I didn't use the jakes for awhile...is there a number of miles I need to be looking at for keeping them off? Out of curiosity, why?

Any particular mileage or driving behaviors that I should do or avoid (RPM, boost level, etc) during break in, aside from drive it hard?

I figured I should wait until my second oil change is complete to put in the 80w90 since the zinc acts as a wear inhibitor...and I'm trying to seat the rings. Or is this flawed logic?

Anything I'm missing? I made sure to be very thorough and take my time. Wanted to make sure to do this right.
When I got mine done in GA I had a new bypass filter put on and they used new oil. Jerry said, no jakes for at least 4000 miles because they create vacuum and can pull oil through the rings. No idling for 1000 miles and that the gear oil would be fine to use in the first change. I did the first change at 718 because of the pan being replaced. When I changed the oil the second time there was 10911 miles since the first and I did gear oil again.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fresh start up questions - Ricky - 04-02-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.