Advice to new owner/operator
05-27-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
Advice to new owner/operator
So, this post will probably be long due to me explaining all that I can to get the best responses.

Back in March, I purchased the truck that I’m driving. I’ve worked in the oil and gas industry for 21 years. After being laid off last year, I took a year off, but when time to return to work, I immediately looked towards the same industry. I bought the truck and signed a lease to haul frac sand in the south Texas region. Hauling frac sand has its pros and cons. Overall, I thought I’d make quite a bit more than what I’m making. It’s not horrible, but I’m trying to maximize my benefit if I’m going to be driving for the next few years.

About my life:
I currently live in Central America and only travel back to the US for work. All of my 21 years working has been rotational, usually 14 days on / 14 days off. So, being an owner operator, in my mind would be great because I have the ability to create my own work schedule. Everything that I have is paid for and my future plans have me retiring in Central America. I’d like to give a good 2-3 year run at driving, then either find a driver to continue running or just park the truck Incase I ever need to return to driving for whatever reason. I’d also like to be able to work 4-6 weeks at a time, then return home for 2-3 weeks.

My driving experience is limited. Back in 2006-2008, I purchased a truck, but never drove it. The truck was leased on with a company that hauled oilfield equipment on flatbed. Then, in 2016, I was hired on with an oilfield service company that required all employees to have a CDL, in which they paid for the schooling and whatnot. I did drive for about 2 years hauling pneumatic trailers and also a very heavy pumping unit. After the 2 years, I supervised and drove a pickup. But because I was employed with that company and held a CDL, my records reflect that I have 5 years driving experience.

I’m not limited to anything. My wife and kids are back in Central America.

So, with what I’ve written, what do you guys suggest to maximize my time and effort? The only thing I’d like to limit is the amount of equipment I purchase. I’d like to keep it limited to like a power-only scenario. My truck has a chemical pump still installed as that’s what my uncle hauled prior to me purchasing the truck from him. I don’t have hazmat, but can get it. My TWIC card is expired, but can renew. I have tanker and double/triple endorsements.

Dry vans, Reefers, flat beds? OTR, regional? Own Authority, lease authority?

Open to suggestions, comments, or questions.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Advice to new owner/operator - Lead_sled - 05-27-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.