Hard to get in gear intermittently
06-05-2021, (Subject: Hard to get in gear intermittently ) 
RE: Hard to get in gear intermittently
(06-05-2021 )DT_Duh_Trucker Wrote:  My 14 prostar randomly is hard to put in gear from a dead stop sometimes not all the time. Mechanic said on my truck there is a self adjusting clutch so he can't adjust it.He said he checked it and it's the clutch. Is this a for sure it's the clutch or is there something else I can consider before dumping money into the clutch replacement? Just want to make sure that's the problem and we're not just throwing guesses at the truck. How would you go about verifying it is the clutch?

Thanks

If you have a self-adjusting clutch... then pull the inspection plate off it and check the wear indicator (long curved groove similar to smiley-face with a tab sticking out). You might have to bump the starter to rotate the clutch, get the wear indicator to the bottom to see it.

If the tab sticking out is all the way to the left... that is a brand new clutch. If it is all the way to the right.. then there is no more material in the clutch.

HOWEVER....

- You'de be really hard pressed to get that wear indicator past about the half-way mark on those model clutches before it fails completely. Those type clutches are known for failing when the wear indicator gets to about the half-way mark or so... seen it many times.

So ... if you look at it and its about the half-way mark... REPLACE THE CLUTCH and everything else that the tranny needs to come out for while your at it.

./uploads/202106/post_2_1622908681_35550073c53b4b7328be7bde3ae4e97f.png

The symptoms you are describing are exactly what they do once the wear indicator gets much past the half-way mark. The tip of a spring breaks off and rolls around in the clutch, making it randomly hard to get into gear .. It acts like like the clutch-brake is not working sometimes.

It may or may not be your issue .. but if that wear indicator is half way or more... its time to replace it any ways, so nothing is lost.

Here is a list of what to do if the tranny/clutch has to come out ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid27785

Tags:
eaton clutch, auto-adjust clutch, smiley face, clutch worn out, hanging clutch, clutch hangs up, self adjusting clutch

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , JimT

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hard to get in gear intermittently - Rawze - 06-05-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.