Increasing HorsePower -- What You Need To Know
10-24-2016, (Subject: Increasing HorsePower -- What You Need To Know ) 
RE: Increasing HorsePower -- What You Need To Know
(10-24-2016 )Jarhead79 Wrote:  I have this a 2011 isx 450hp/1650tq can't find cm number on valve , but cpl 3719. I'm looking to see can help me get some more power, and make the thing run "right" without the EPA. I do not have the insite yet. What are some options? If I knew where to go for help and tuning. Also how long after a inframe is recommended its been about 4,000 miles since fixed after liners dropped due to carbon build up. I'm open to any suggestions. Not familiar with def trucks, or isx. Thank you.
PM Rawze, Mr Hagg, Gearhead, or Unilevers. They take ya were you wanna go.
replyreply
10-25-2016, (Subject: Increasing HorsePower -- What You Need To Know ) 
(10-24-2016 )Jarhead79 Wrote:  I have this a 2011 isx 450hp/1650tq can't find cm number on valve , but cpl 3719. I'm looking to see if I can get help to make some more power, and make the thing run "right" without the EPA. I do not have the insite yet. What are some options? If I knew where to go for help and tuning. Also how long after a inframe is recommended its been about 4,000 miles since fixed after liners dropped due to carbon build up. I'm open to any suggestions. Not familiar with def trucks, or isx. Thank you.

2011 was the year they started making trucks with CM2250's in them. Does your truck take DEF fluid? -- if so, it is a CM2250, of NOT, it is a CM871.

Carbon buildup/packing causes a LOT of problems, but is not always the cause of liner height issues themselves. Carbon packing can easily cause the piston rings to become tight and cause pre-mature liner wear resulting in excess blow-by issues (and therefore relentless Emissions issues, cam wear issues, etc.). It is more rare for it to cause liner dropping issues though, but not impossible. Most of the time liner height issues are the result of injector issues, or how it is driven.

Elaborating further on this ...

A lot of ISX engines that have liner issues, do so because the way they are driven. Everyone seems to be hell bent on making lots of power and pushing their truck up every hill with the torque maxed out at 1500 RPM or below. The reality is that they should be ABOVE 1500 when pushing the engine (more like 1600-1750) when heavy torque is requested to prevent these same kinds of problems. Most of the time, it is the history of the truck and how it is driven that determines liner issues. Cruise control and a lazy driver that does not down-shift until it is down in the 1200 RPM range are its worst enemy.

As far as carbon packing goes,...

Regular EGR tune-up work BEFORE any excess soot problems, check engine lights, regen issues, etc. start setting in, along WITH some kind of bypass filter for keeping it out of the oil is required. It is either that, or having it de-mandated and putting the latest version of MM-2 in it properly (not legal in the U.S.A./Canada) in it and being done with it.

Back to the question(s) ...

Everyone always wants more hp from their truck. You say it was just inframed and counter-bored, but did anyone bother to raise the liner height on all the cylinders so that it can take a bit more hp? --- There are very few places that I know would do this correctly. Most just put back the same height and that means that you are no better off than before as far a risk vs power vs liner issues again. -- keep that in mind when talking about more HP.

What WAS, and now IS the current liner height? Did they do ALL cylinders? Or just the one(s) that dropped? Did they use Stainless, Iron, or Brass shims when correcting the liner height? -- ALL of this is relevant information to know when discussing HP on an engine that has just been inframed. As well, what steps are you going to take so that the same issue does not get repeated in the future?

-- If it is custom tuning you want, legal or otherwise, then I would suggest giving me a call sometime for some solid recommendations. I PM'd you my number.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
10-30-2016, (Subject: Increasing HorsePower -- What You Need To Know ) 
I have an 01 W900 565 CM570. Long story short , Cummins is telling me I may have corrupted injector drivers. CPL 2834 ECM code N10274.
My question is, Im at 1850 ftlb of torque now. I ve been told to fix the issue we simply reflash the ECM. Is there a Cal code that will reflash it to 565 hp and 2050 ftlb of torque ?
replyreply
01-09-2017, (Subject: Increasing HorsePower -- What You Need To Know ) 
Ran across this in the equptment classifieds. All stock at 750 peak hp. Obviously with the hx80 and the way it's programmed, no good for a truck. But with most internal parts the same as an isx, it is a testament to the engines actual strength.
http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/Ind...-119323827
replyreply
01-10-2017, (Subject: Increasing HorsePower -- What You Need To Know ) 
I agree, with the pan off an isx and looking at the crank, mains and rods, it's not what I would call a weak or flimsy built engine, anyways it looks pretty stout mechanicly, however cylinder spacing is closer together between cylinders as say compared to a cat c15, my opinion if cummins would have made the block a little longer to allow for a little more cylinder spacing then they could have had enough room on the top deck for top counterbores for top stop liners, I am thinking that would maybe be a better design then thier mid stop liners, your thoughts??
replyreply
(01-09-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  Ran across this in the equptment classifieds. All stock at 750 peak hp. Obviously with the hx80 and the way it's programmed, no good for a truck. But with most internal parts the same as an isx, it is a testament to the engines actual strength.
http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/Ind...-119323827

We all know those internals are quite capable of dealing with 750hp but the difference in applications is that QSX will either idle or run in its peak efficiency range - Rarely anywhere in between. It doesn't have to deal with driver abuse, traffic lights, etc.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(01-10-2017 )Signature620 Wrote:  We all know those internals are quite capable of dealing with 750hp but the difference in applications is that QSX will either idle or run in its peak efficiency range - Rarely anywhere in between. It doesn't have to deal with driver abuse, traffic lights, etc.

I'd like to get my hands on one of the rocker cover lids.
Love to see if anybody actually notices the QSX logo or the 750 rating.
Guys ask me all the time "What kind of power I'm running pulling all those axles?", it would be fun to just point and let them read it.
I've thought about doing that in my ECM as well for fun change the advertised HP to 750, just to see if anybody is paying attention. Problem is IF I do need help, I'm raising serious red flags.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(01-10-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(01-10-2017 )Signature620 Wrote:  We all know those internals are quite capable of dealing with 750hp but the difference in applications is that QSX will either idle or run in its peak efficiency range - Rarely anywhere in between. It doesn't have to deal with driver abuse, traffic lights, etc.

Love to see if anybody actually notices the QSX logo or the 750 rating.

One of my tattoos is a CAT logo with "3406E - 750HP" set inside the logo. I was inside my shop of choice one time and the ink was peeking out from under my sleeve. One of the mechanics noticed it and he got a very confused look on his face and said "Cat doesn't make a 750". My reply was "just because they don't make it, doesn't mean you can't get it." Ah, the good old days.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , Hammerhead , in2trux , Waterloo , LargeCar
01-18-2017, (Subject: Increasing HorsePower -- What You Need To Know ) 
looking for help to update software to latest or see what options there are for higher hp/tq combinations.

engine CPL:3491

code is CL10048

ecm reading: CL10048.42
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.