Need help deciding between three different truck models
03-20-2021, (Subject: Need help deciding between three different truck models ) 
Need help deciding between three different truck models
Hello.I am trying to decide on a KW T800,T660,or Prostar.The truck will be used to haul frac sand with a hopper bottom at a gross of 80k.95 percent of the driving is highway and the last 5 is on oilfield lease roads but that have a maximum speed limit of 15MPH,so I think one would have to drive recklessly to tear one up on those roads.Also What speed on the transmission and gearing do y’all recommend for what I’ll be using it for? Roads are pretty flat with the occasional hill here and there but nothing crazy.
replyreply
RE: Need help deciding between three different truck models
I wouldn't recommend the t660 or the pro star, running the oilfield's.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(03-20-2021 )hhow55 Wrote:  I wouldn't recommend the t660 or the pro star, running the oilfield's.

How about this star car? https://mhc.com/trucks/used/2009/western...f/i0480983

18 speed 4.56 gears.
replyreply
The WS is better suited, but what if things go bust? Could you haul general freight or a flat with that and make money? Thinking fuel mileage and that tiny sleeper...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
I ran sand, pipeline and grain in a prostar for a few years. Little hard on suspension and cab mount bushings but not terrible if u take ur time and dont act like a company driver. Gonna want to install a proride cab suspension tho, those air struts wont last 6 months on lease roads. Where u haulin sand at?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1 , Waterloo
(03-20-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  but what if things go bust?

Oilfield.......that's a good bet too

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Honestly 80 k is light , with that being said i would go with 3.90 on 22.5 or 4.10 on 24.5 .in my opinion these is how I would set up a 5 axel .I also don't drive that fast .
I am a big fan of a 18 speed especially if your in any soft ground.

Keep in mind these ratio are alot harder to find and usually have been "worked" harder.
( 24.5 were on all my trucks for clearance)
The link did not work for the star car ...
I had a 2008 9900 international i run for years and a 4900 westernstar . Both big nose trucks , the star is alot tougher but alot harder on feul . Probably 20 % worse but aslo had the 2250 instead of the 871 cummins which i aslo think made a difference.
The biggest factor is do you want to drive 75 mph hour or a 60 mph .
Everything is really a loaded question.
My 9900 was a light truck ,the lightest 18 speed , super 40s , ect .
I ran that truck on some pretty wicked offroad trails draging 140,000 lbs , heavy haul up to 200,000 lbs ., ect . Ill say again the biggest factor is YOU .
It seems like you have the right idea about everything.
Its all about finesse , not brute force .
So this is a very long answer for your question.
P.s at least a 3 way locker is a must .I think that on any truck though, lol

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Redland1 , Waterloo , JMBT
03-21-2021, (Subject: Need help deciding between three different truck models ) 
(03-20-2021 )smorgan87 Wrote:  I ran sand, pipeline and grain in a prostar for a few years. Little hard on suspension and cab mount bushings but not terrible if u take ur time and dont act like a company driver. Gonna want to install a proride cab suspension tho, those air struts wont last 6 months on lease roads. Where u haulin sand at?
Just outside of San Antonio.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87
03-21-2021, (Subject: Need help deciding between three different truck models ) 
(03-20-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  The WS is better suited, but what if things go bust? Could you haul general freight or a flat with that and make money? Thinking fuel mileage and that tiny sleeper...

All the money would go towards fuel if I went to hauling around a skateboard.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.