Cummins isx
06-30-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx ) 
RE: Cummins isx
(06-30-2021 )smorgan87 Wrote:  You are either starving the pump, the pump is shot or u may have a regulator problem. Id start with checking for air on the suction side of your pump(s) and making sure both your filters are clean. If no air and clean Id drain the oil thru a fine strainer and see if any fragmentation falls out. If it does then i feel for ya cause that would indicate the pump is shelling off metal and your engine is trashed. If the oil is clean then id thank God for your good luck, rebuild that pump and replace the regulators. Rawze and Haggai may have better advice. But definitely start with air bubbles and filters. Those davco canisters can sometimes be real finicky about sealing up and let air in around the orings so make sure the orings are seated and lubricated and the nut is tight.

What can I do to check if I'm not so inclined on diesel engines
...would it run fine on highway of this was the problem..it's intermittently shutting off at a stops
replyreply
07-01-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx ) 
Sight glass or piece of clear hose between pump and filter
replyreply
07-02-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx ) 
SPN 157 FM 1I8 is the infamous cummins fault code 559 that typically occurs after a fuel pump failure.

If you want any chance to save that engine:
- STOP DRIVING IT IMMEDIATELY!
- Open up the fuel pump head and inspect it per cummins procedure 005-227 Fuel Pump Head(s) (Quickserve link here)
- IF UPON INSPECTION YOU FIND DAMAGED COMPONENTS then extra steps may be needed (beyond fuel pump replacement) to ensure all debris is flushed out of the engine's oil passages.

As far as recovering from a pump failure, Mr. Hagg's shop is considered to be the best.

Here's a youtube playlist with fuel pump related videos.

Here are more fuel pump threads from this forum:
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=3297
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1805
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=118

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Rawze , PuroCumminsPower , Toolguy
07-02-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx ) 
(06-28-2021 )Bandit2122 Wrote:  my truck has 30psi boost and sometimes it'll be a powerhouse and jump to almost 40psi..and just started shutting off when stopped at light or stopsign etc.. It starts up and as long as your going over 1k rpm it'll run fine. Also the water temp fluctuates driving highway speeds all the way to 210 fan cones on goes down to 195 190 then repeats it's killing the mpg any suggestions? That's the 3 things I have going on.. I replaced the thermostat. Water temp sensor behind tstat.fuel rail.pressure sensor imap sensor crankcase filter fuel filter I'm lost at what else to do..

Based on your descriptions and the code you posted I'd say you had a pretty good fuel pump failure. As for the higher water temps, it's hard to say for certain without a better understanding of your operating conditions. 185-210 is the normal operating range. Before my inframe my engine wouldn't run lower then 195 either. If I had to guess you are getting excess heat added to the cooling system. Could come from higher exhaust temps running through EGR cooler, higher oil temps (a likely culprit if you had a fuel pump failure spew metal debris into the oil) or maybe you have exhaust gasses entering the cooling system.

What's the mileage on this truck? What is you oil consumption like? What's you blow-by like? (take the oil filler cap off and see how much smoke pours out and if it's a steady stream or does it come in puffs) Are you using coolant? If so is it coming out the overflow tube or just disappearing? Any idea what your oil temps are running? The oil is cooled down by the engine coolant and higher oil temps could also explain the higher coolant temps.

I have a funny feeling you're looking at an inframe in addition to a fuel pump replacement and extensive flushing of the oil passages. My opinion is that an appointment with Mr. Hagg's shop would be the recommended route if you want to properly save that engine.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
07-03-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx ) 
515k miles oil temp 225 no oil consumption between oil changes..every 20k miles. No coolant use. The smoke out oil cap is barely any there
replyreply
07-03-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx ) 
(07-03-2021 )Bandit2122 Wrote:  515k miles oil temp 225 no oil consumption between oil changes..every 20k miles. No coolant use. The smoke out oil cap is barely any there

OK. So, investigate the fuel pump ASAP. It's the most likely cause and could destroy the entire engine if it failed.

IF the fuel pump/pump head is still good then there are a couple other possible causes of that code, but at that mileage the original pump head is already past it's usual failure point.

I did have that code pop up once when my DAVCO unit was getting air because the top o-ring was not installed, but you would easily notice that there is no fuel in the DAVCO and once it ran dry it wouldn't restart without adding fuel. Likewise, any air intrusion between the DAVCO and the fuel pump could cause a stall. But again, the pump head is known to eat itself some time over the 400,000 mi mark so it's the number one suspect right now.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower
07-12-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx ) 
This couldn't cause the temperature Flux could it? Water temperatures?
replyreply
07-12-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx ) 
(07-12-2021 )Bandit2122 Wrote:  This couldn't cause the temperature Flux could it? Water temperatures?

maybe he will learn after the engine siezes up and it costs him $40,000 for a new one.

ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid15389

=================

(07-03-2021 )Bandit2122 Wrote:  ... between oil changes..every 20k miles. ...

and WHY THE H#ELL are you going 20,000+ miles between oil changes?... Are you getting 9+ MPG?... or are you just wanting ti abuse your engine?

CHANGE YOUR OIL BASED ON YOUR AVERAGE FUEL MILEAGE!!!!! --- HERE ARE THE NUMBERS....

* Oil changes based on fuel mileage (or equivalent engine hours). -- (At the bottom of post in this link - http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...617#pid617 ). The general rule of thumb for oil changes on the ISX is ...

Rawze Wrote:If your average fuel mileage every 10,000 miles is ...

less than 5 MG -- Change your oil every 8,000 miles or so.

5 - 6 MPG -- Change your oil every 10,000 - 12,000 miles or so.

6 - 7 MPG -- Change your oil every 12,000 - 15,000 miles or so.

7 - 8 MPG -- Change your oil every 15,000 - 18,000 miles or so.

8 - 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 18,000 - 22,000 miles or so.

above 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 22,000 - 28,000 miles or so.

==============

If you did not know any better .. well, now you have been told.. and if you do not listen.. it is only your own business that is going to suffer the fate of bad decisions.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower
07-14-2021, (Subject: Cummins isx ) 
I get 7mpg and never knew this about the isx I'll take your advice
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.