X15 Returning fault 2692
09-19-2023, (Subject: X15 Returning fault 2692 ) 
X15 Returning fault 2692
Hello all and thank you for allowing me to join Rawze.com. I am currently working on a 2018 Cummins X15 and have a continuing returning fault 2692.= 2692 PID: SPN: 3936 FMI: 2 Aftertreatment 1 Diesel Particulate Filter System- Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect. THAT is the code description per Cummins however if you go through Cummins diagnostics, It states to confirm latest calibration, replace DPF(or clean I presume) and/or replace PM sensor (this is from memory) This sounds to me like the PM sensor is reading soot(or to much soot) however the Fault description sounds like an electrical issue?? I have no other faults and this started proceeding a stuck VGT actuator, turbo and actuator replaced with a hand full of associated codes cleared, a few parked regens, all data looked good and out the door but has returned once and replaced the PM sensor and now back again. I believe the next step is to inspect/replace DPF filter yet I am hesitant to as on line I find others replacing DPF and PM sensor only to have code still return! Any info suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
replyreply
09-20-2023, (Subject: X15 Returning fault 2692 ) 
RE: X15 Returning fault 2692
Off the rip….. there really isn’t a lot to go off of other than you seen a code, read a little about it and threw a pm sensor at it. You need to start by checking how dirty your egr is, then pull your dpf filter and inspect the filter and doc (post pictures here because a few of us can identify problems just by looking at the face and outlet of the filter) and finally check your calibration revision. But absolutely all of these things need to happen with that code. Especially if you were previously having vgt issues.
I would bet the filter is face plugged if not cracked and the egr is in rough shape and needs a good cleaning. But that’s just all my educated guess. And with the truck being 5+ years old it’s most likely due for a cleaning/testing. Not to mention bad vgt actuators and bad turbos produce bad soot….. soot clogs everything very fast, if the engine isn’t healthy then the filters aren’t healthy.

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Innocent Bystander
When is the last time an EGr tune-up was done?.

How many miles/engine hours on the truck?.

some more history, and if there are other codes that come and go.

by the way, that 2692 code is telling you that the PM sensor for the DPF is reading too high all the time.... meaning it is detecting excess soot coming from the engine.

Could be a cracked DPF element.. but more likely the engine is making too much soot .. hence an EGr tune-up and replacing the IMAP sensor, other EGR sensors, and cleaning out the piping etc.. for the engine.

I.E.> the ENGINE is what makes the soot not the cans under the truck... and most people completely neglect the engine and its egr piping, sensors. etc. until its far too late, and the DPF and other components under the truck are suffering the dire consequences of such constant neglect.

These trucks are NOT drive it till the lights come on type of vehicles. Proper tune-up work and preventative maintenance needs to happen on a regular schedule .. or you have nothing but problems.

- I would say start with a thorough EGR tune-up on the engine and also pull that DOC and DPF.. take pictures of their faces and post them here on the forum for some opinions on their condition. - Take them to a certified stealers$it and have them properly baked, de-ashed, flow tested, etc. for a few hundred bucks and go from there.

ALSO make sure you have the latest software installed into the ecm, because there has been a lot of ecm software updates regarding issues like you describe.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88 , Innocent Bystander
Thank you for the responses, Sorry for the condensed version, I was mainly trying to confirm DPF was the next step and rationalize the code description with steps to repair, "Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect".. Incorrect(out of range IE to much soot) is a far cry from erratic or intermittent Data, it boggles my mind how all that can be grouped together in one code, all this is based on the PM sensor yet if you look at freeze frame data for that code it doesnt even list PM sensor data! Also during all testing, test runs and test driving PM sensor has never read above 0.00. and each time code returns it is only x1 This is the reason I replaced the PM sensor first prior to taking the the DPF out ... It does have the latest calibration, I believe the EGR delta pres sensor and ports cleaned earlier in the year but will have to confirm. Truck has about 350000 miles and no other codes. All egr data looks good but I have yet to inspect the face, may have in a previous repair. will post pics when disassembled. Thanks!
replyreply
(09-20-2023 )Innocent Bystander Wrote:  Thank you for the responses, Sorry for the condensed version, I was mainly trying to confirm DPF was the next step and rationalize the code description with steps to repair, "Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect".. Incorrect(out of range IE to much soot) is a far cry from erratic or intermittent Data, it boggles my mind how all that can be grouped together in one code, all this is based on the PM sensor yet if you look at freeze frame data for that code it doesnt even list PM sensor data! Also during all testing, test runs and test driving PM sensor has never read above 0.00. and each time code returns it is only x1 This is the reason I replaced the PM sensor first prior to taking the the DPF out ... It does have the latest calibration, I believe the EGR delta pres sensor and ports cleaned earlier in the year but will have to confirm. Truck has about 350000 miles and no other codes. All egr data looks good but I have yet to inspect the face, may have in a previous repair. will post pics when disassembled. Thanks!

Fault 2692 is NOT always an intermittent connection to the sensor, and you did say you replaced it ...

Sure, it could be a bad sensor .. it could be bad wiring, or a j1939 network issue somewhere, .. but it simply could also be the engine producing too much soot too, which is just as common.

You mentioned the Delta-P sensor for the EGR, but you did not mention the IMAP sensor (IMAP needs replacement once a year or so due to egr soot), or the Exhaust gas pressure sensor, or EGR pressure sensor, cleaning and checking the operation of the EGR valve itself, or any of the other sensors or systems on the engine much. - ALL of which need regular replacements and/or cleaning about once a year or so.

Also, has anyone bothered to do a CAC and engine pressure tests to ensure the CAC and/or the intake or egr circuits, boots, etc. are not leaky?.

What about checking the exhaust decomp tube to ensure there is no volcano built up in there?. ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...07#pid1807

And lastly.. if you got that sensor from anywhere but the stealers$it then it may be a chineesuim fake, or an after-garbage brand, .. as there are a LOT of them running around and they are not worth 3 cents.

The attack should be to NOT give it any excuse to cause those faults, and to going thru the entire system related to excess soot production. Replacing the sensor itself is one step, check wiring, etc. is another, especially if it is suspect, etc.. (you say you already did), but also ensuring the entire EGR and other systems that contribute towards soot production is in tip-top shape, is how you stop those kinds of issues.

NO REPAIR SHOP is going to do any of this .. because they are under-trained, and cannot be bothered to do proper preventative and "tune-up" work. It gets left to the truck owner, and most truck owners are too lazy, or more often, simply don't know any better.

NOTHING ON THAT ENGINE can keep itself clean, especially the entire egr system with all of its various sensors, pipes, and devices. It is in a constant state of getting dirty and more dirty, like a runaway freight train, that needs attention at MINIMUM, once a year, but more typically, about every 6 months or so... long before any check engine lights ever come on.

It causes everything else to rapidly down hill, all while the truck owner has no idea that is the source of all their aftertrteatment problems the whole time from the day the engine came off that assembly line.

NEXT: is the fact that someone can do a forced regen operation for the DPf on the truck, and this only barely cleans it about 10% or so away from that next regen light or excess soot warning lamp. - YOU COULD DO 50 REGENS ON IT IN A ROW .. and it will NEVER get as clean as it does when removed and having it baked, de-ashed, air-knife on it, etc.. / professionally cleaned with machinery similar to this one: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid50975

The engine and truck is simply unable to clean it back to its original state at all and most people have no idea that the entire regen process, once those dpf alarms start happening is only a temporary band-aide at best. At most, the regen system on the truck may get it about 10% clean or so (vs. a new one) .. and that is all it can do, so in a few weeks at most.. all the soot alarms come right back again, unlike when the engine was brand new and it took 1.5 years or more for it to complain that very first time.

That is crux of 90% of ALL issues of the entire DPF and SCR systems with their woes. An EGR system that absolutely has no way to keep itself clean, clogging every intake sensor and system on the engine, and an atfertreatment system that is absolutely unable to do anything but band-aide the situation, even if you force-regen it several times in a row, needing the cans removed and professionally cleaned by a stealers$it every couple 3 years or so.

I.E.> ...
Professionally cleaning the cans under the truck using proper equipment, and ripping apart the entire EGR system + replacing all the associated sensors in its path, etc.. is the only way to get the entire truck engine and its systems back to 100% full health like they were when the engine was new. Anything less and your just pushing the problems around in a circle.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Innocent Bystander , Bengy88
09-21-2023, (Subject: X15 Returning fault 2692 ) 
Here is some pics....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mCAg8tC4SYAgALno8
replyreply
09-21-2023, (Subject: X15 Returning fault 2692 ) 
(09-21-2023 )Innocent Bystander Wrote:  Here is some pics....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mCAg8tC4SYAgALno8

looks like quite a bit of ash buildup.. and a whole lot of excess soot.

It also looks like engine is burning a bit of oil too, but not excessive.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Innocent Bystander , Bengy88
09-22-2023, (Subject: X15 Returning fault 2692 ) 
Also found half of this baffle in the DOC is missing!

Found this TSB...

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

.pdf  DOC Baffle TSB.pdf (Size: 638.4 KB / Downloads: 0)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
09-23-2023, (Subject: X15 Returning fault 2692 ) 
Have you dealt with this broken/missing baffle on the DOC before? New one is now over $6000.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.