Is this oil residue anything to worry about?
10-13-2016, (Subject: Is this oil residue anything to worry about? ) 
Is this oil residue anything to worry about?
There is a film of oil on the rubber parts of the pipe that goes from my turbo to the CAC. I can't see any oil leaks near by that would cause this. Thought I'd share a couple pictures and get everyone's opinion. The truck is an 08 Volvo with 871 isx../uploads/201610/post_2103_1476379061_99c9318f854d0096f875c23e116db6ab.jpg./uploads/201610/post_2103_1476379107_ac5d95157e76882f3dad79c7fd3835b0.jpg
replyreply
RE: Is this oil residue anything to worry about?
First of all, your boots look old and in need of replacing.

That is likely turbo slobber as it is called....

It happens if you ...

* idle a lot.

* have a re-man turbo (sometimes they just slobber a bit, especially at idle).

* Have a failing turbo (the inside of the intake will be full of oil too).

* have a custom tune and there is a vacuum on the intake. This is easily corrected and tested for.

* Have a custom tune and your turbo is simply old, and/or a re-man and you idle a good bit.

* Have excess crank case pressure. If it gets bad enough, it can blow out the face seal of the turbo.

* Have not changed the crank case filter often enough, and now it has damaged the face seal.

=== take your pick, you were not very specific in your engine history. Also, you have a Volvo truck. The turbo will run 100 degrees hotter on average in a Volvo than any other brand of truck. The intake and piping is more restrictive and there is not good air flow around the outside of the engine to keep it cooled off. They are terrible for that and that also makes the engine less fuel efficient by about 0.6 MPG. than other trucks in their class. this dictates the turbo will have a shorter lifespan than other brands of truck,.. say 400k miles instead of 600k miles as an example.

It is not a problem unless it is enough to make the intake wet too. If you do not idle your truck much, take off a CAC boot on the intake side and see if it is wet too. If it is, then you will want to consider replacing the turbo soon if it is old. Also make sure your crank case filter is drilled out, or that you have a fairly new one in it. Most of the guys on the forum just drill them out instead of replacing them.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...376#pid376

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks for the detailed answer! The truck has 764076 miles. I do a fair amount of idling hauling corn. Not sure on the age of the turbo but I'm certain it's not original. The crank case filter is drilled out and has been for at least 30k miles when I first bought the truck. Running the m'm^2 tune but haven't had it fine tuned by anyone. My pyro is setup on the outside of the exhaust manifold and gets into the 500 to 550 range on 90° summer days. I'll take the pipe off and see what the inside looks like when I get home tonight.
replyreply
Are there any other visable oil leaks on the front of the engine?
It looks like oil being thrown up and atomized by the fan except I can't see how it would be only on the hose. Everything else looks too clean.

Definitely time to change those before one goes boom and leaves you on the side of the road.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(10-13-2016 )ClarkWGriswold Wrote:  Thanks for the detailed answer! The truck has 764076 miles. I do a fair amount of idling hauling corn. Not sure on the age of the turbo but I'm certain it's not original. The crank case filter is drilled out and has been for at least 30k miles when I first bought the truck. Running the m'm^2 tune but haven't had it fine tuned by anyone. My pyro is setup on the outside of the exhaust manifold and gets into the 500 to 550 range on 90° summer days. I'll take the pipe off and see what the inside looks like when I get home tonight.

When you say "Running the m'm^2 tune but haven't had it fine tuned by anyone", you do know that @m*m^2 is NOT a set it and forget it tune right?
If nobody has "tuned" it for you, have you fine tuned the turbo tables? If you haven't, it's very possible that the closing rate is too low at idle, creating a vacuum on the charge side of the turbo instead of slight pressure. This vacuum can cause the turbo face seal to allow oil to be pulled from the crankcase into the intake system...it is designed to have pressure on it, not vacuum.
At the very least, this needs to be set properly to avoid messy turbo slobber, and potentially much bigger issues. Sensor malfunctions, turbo failure, or worse yet an engine run away.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
10-14-2016, (Subject: Is this oil residue anything to worry about? ) 
There are no other visible oil leaks on the front of the engine.

I did adjust the turbo tables when i did the tune. It was last winter when I did it and I'd have to look back at the file and jog my memory on what all I tweaked.

When I get done with harvest I need to have someone look over my tune to make sure it looks alright. Truck runs great since I did it.
replyreply
10-19-2016, (Subject: Is this oil residue anything to worry about? ) 
Just an update. I checked the inside of the pipe and it was clean. Looked into new boots and I can get just the boots and reuse the pipe. The current boots have metal bands holding them on to the pipe. Does anyone have recommendations on what kind of clamp to use to attach new boots to the old pipe?
replyreply
10-19-2016, (Subject: Is this oil residue anything to worry about? ) 
I hate those damn things, I just replaced mine and they've blown off 4 times!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
10-20-2016, (Subject: Is this oil residue anything to worry about? ) 
I replaced my rubber boots not long ago. When you hold an aftermarket (trp) and the dealer ones right away it's obvious why the dealers are twice as much.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.