Maintenance free Crankcase filter
10-28-2016, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
RE: Maintenance free Crankcase filter
Sounds good enough to me. I'll give it a try.
replyreply
10-29-2016, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
i seen this the other day and now i have 2 installed. was changing old type every 60,000 miles. 3 more are on the way!!
replyreply
11-12-2016, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
is this for a cummins isx? do you get a check engine light and a crankcase pressure message in the FAULTS FOUND section?
replyreply
(10-26-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 )Matt Wrote:  I know what a breather filter is for, but what benefit does this provide? I've seen talk of drilling holes in the stock housing but I'm not sure what the gain is. Can someone fill me in? I'm apparently missing out on something lol.

Drilling the hole is one of Rawze tricks on the old style to eliminate high crankcase pressure fault codes.
There is a sensor in the side of the housing and they act up like they all do, especially if you have high milage.

I had someone that is supposed to know better, watch me drill a hole in one and tell me I would blow my engine if I did. "Cummins need back pressure " I just smiled and went about my business.
While that is true to an extent on a stock engine, I wonder if he knows how much back pressure a dpf puts on the engine when its working right,let alone being clogged?

Drilling the holes in it prevents problems, saves wasted money and is harmless unless you think a little oil vapor is causing global warming
im new and wondering well wouldnt there be an oil leak if you drill holes?
replyreply
Is the maintenance free cover for all isx and the X15? This should be in everyones truck.
replyreply
(11-12-2016 )sick puppy Wrote:  im new and wondering well wouldnt there be an oil leak if you drill holes { in the crank case filter itself }?

The area where the oil is on your engine (just below the pistons) builds pressure because of blow-by. It HAS to go somewhere, otherwise pressure will build in the oil pan and turn your engine into an explosive bomb of fumes just waiting to go off. Relieving this pressure prevents this, and also lets the pistons go up and down easier, allowing the entire engine to breathe.

It used to be called the "Road Draft Tube"...

./uploads/201611/post_1744_1478946147_bc427024373a02ad9e328ece2e4832dc.jpg

These days everyone calls it a Crank Case breather tube... and YES, someone decided to stick a filter on it so that you would have to pay every other oil change to have it replaced to the tune of $80+. -- Pure profit!.

You can see that it is simply a tube that lets the engine breathe so no fumes build up inside it. The fumes that come out are explosive because it is oil and unburnt fuel fumes that got past piston rings. if your engine is in good shape,.. little or no fumes come out of this tube at all. if your engine is worn down though,.. and you got carbon-packed rings, etc... (bad turbo or compressor can do it too), then it will always be pushing air/fumes out of it. If it has a p[ressure sensor,.. you will always be getting alarms too, and have to change the filter more often than recommended. That or or drill it the filter out and let the engine breathe because your sick of wasting money on a filter that "filter only the outside air" and has no effect on helping your engine, except to clog up and cost you money.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...376#pid376

Some smaller vehicles that do not have turbochargers have this tube going back into the intake to improve fuel mileage,.. but diesel engines have PRESSURE (via the turbo) into the intake instead of a vacum like a car. There is also the possibility of those fumes keeping the engine running after you shut it off,.. so most older diesels just had the tube going down under the engine to nothing at all (the outside air).

./uploads/201611/post_1744_1478946410_ab8e21a0b0b2b37185f16b62c9322239.jpg

Then someone decided to "Filter" these fumes because they didn't want to pollute the environment. God forbid someone might smell a slight hint of oil when walking past your truck, or worse yet,.. some politician that works for the EPA might accidentally sniff it and get offended.

These days, crankcase filters are there mostly to satisfy a European Mandates (emissions regulations). It is also a way for the engine maker/filter companies to rape you for $80 every other oil change for something that should cost $3 bucks.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=65

Ever walk through a truck stop parking lot and see an older Peterbilt or KW truck with that hose sticking out of the bottom, some light smoke coming out of the tube near the drivers front steer tire? -- That is what it filters on the newer engines.

======

To answer your question -- NO There will NOT be an oil leak if you drill it out,.. and NO it does not hurt a thing because the filter only filters fumes going OUT of your engine (to the outside air), not in.

The maintenence free crank case filter ( post #1 ) simply has a hole in it.

Tags:
crank case fumes, crankcase fumes, crankcase filter, crankcase filter hole, hole in crank case filter
replyreply
 Thanks given by: trucklogger2 , Roysbigtoys , PuroCumminsPower
ROFL! here we go. Explained

LOL You Fart through your pants

then pull off your pants and fart again ... I.E. no more filter.

Breathe better. Back-door Engine happy!.

The difference --- One smells a bit more.

Simple as that!

:angel: (damn I am laughing so hard my eyes are watery).
replyreply
 Thanks given by: the missing link , Roysbigtoys , Toolguy
11-11-2017, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
(11-12-2016 )Cuya Wrote:  ROFL! here we go. Explained

LOL You Fart through your pants

then pull off your pants and fart again ... I.E. no more filter.

Breathe better. Back-door Engine happy!.

The difference --- One smells a bit more.

Simple as that!

:angel: (damn I am laughing so hard my eyes are watery).

LOL.

At the post's anniversary

Yes I got this filter and works

Not even the cummins guy new about it last year,I had to show him the picture taken from this site with the part No....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
02-08-2018, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
Can this filter be bypassed in anyway??
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.