ISX and Bypass Oil Filter Systems
11-17-2018, (Subject: ISX and Bypass Oil Filter Systems ) 
RE: ISX and Bypass Oil Filter Systems
(10-13-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  This is cross posted from the Shimmed Oil Pump thread as well...

So I finally got off me fat azz and finally installed my Spinner II 996 Bypass filter. Should have done this years ago, but I was told that ISX's do not produce enough oil pressure to properly propell the centrifuge. I spent some time on the phone with a very knowledgeable person from their tech support, and he said that info was wrong. A stock ISX oil pump will propell the centrifuge, but it will only run about 34-3500rpm. The optimum is 4500+, so it will work, but it's efficiency won't at its peak. Anyhoo...
As everyone here probably knows, I have shimmed my oil pump with the US$0.80 trick. I started the truck after the install was almost complete. I had the return line plumbed it, the air supply run and connected, the oil IN to the Spinner connected and the feed line ran. I did NOT connect the feed immediately. I ran the truck for about 1/2hr to achieve (close to) operating oil temp of 170*. I was running the DataLogger on Insite, so my oil pressure at 1200rpm was 47.0-47.9psi. I then shut the truck down, pulled the #5 feed port plug and installed the port fitting and connected the supply hose. Again on Insite running the DataLogger at 1200rpm my oil pressure was 45.8-46.4, giving a parasitic loss of 1.2-1.5psi of pressure loss to run a (rated) 2 gal/min Spinner bypass filter. According to the chart in the install instructions with 45psi it should be spinning the centrifuge at about 53-5400rpm and flowing about 1.7-1.8 gal/min.
Actually not as much pressure loss as I had expected it to be.
Note, this is on a fresh oil change with Rotella 15W40 and 1 gallon on Sta-Lube 80W90.

I would like to say thank you for all the info that you have just given me. I have been looking at putting this same centrifuge on my truck (2011 Prostar w/871) for some time now and think I will be buying it when I get back home. I have just one question about how you installed it (please forgive me, I'm somewhat of a rookie when it comes to turning wrenches on engines and not aircraft), and that is you mentioned that you put a shim on your oil pump to increase you PSI. How do I go about doing that?
replyreply
11-17-2018, (Subject: ISX and Bypass Oil Filter Systems ) 
(11-17-2018 )Mavrix Wrote:  ...
you mentioned that you put a shim on your oil pump to increase you PSI. How do I go about doing that?

here is how i did mine...

here is some more related info...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid29053

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Mavrix , LargeCar
11-19-2018, (Subject: ISX and Bypass Oil Filter Systems ) 
(11-17-2018 )Mavrix Wrote:  I would like to say thank you for all the info that you have just given me. I have been looking at putting this same centrifuge on my truck (2011 Prostar w/871) for some time now and think I will be buying it when I get back home. I have just one question about how you installed it (please forgive me, I'm somewhat of a rookie when it comes to turning wrenches on engines and not aircraft), and that is you mentioned that you put a shim on your oil pump to increase you PSI. How do I go about doing that?

Just like Rawze shows in his video, only slightly different.
Because I dropped my oil pan and did it while the pump was mounted, I put the dimes in the pocket of the dogbone instead of down the bore.
This was my way of “capturing” them since I couldn’t guarantee a stack like Rawze with the pump removed and doing it vertically.
Other than that, exactly the same idea...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Mavrix
02-07-2019, (Subject: ISX and Bypass Oil Filter Systems ) 
(03-01-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Are Bypass Oil systems (Like ops/Gulf coast/Amsoil/Etc.) Good for the ISX CM871?,...

Opinion: For filtration--YES,...For extended oil drains---NO!

How did you hook the bypass filter up? I’m buying one and picking it up tomorrow at a distribution center. Thanks
replyreply
02-08-2019, (Subject: ISX and Bypass Oil Filter Systems ) 
(02-07-2019 )Bryanluster1 Wrote:  How did you hook the bypass filter up? I’m buying one and picking it up tomorrow at a distribution center. Thanks

similar to this...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...07#pid1907

and...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...67#pid3167

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bryanluster1
07-14-2019, (Subject: ISX and Bypass Oil Filter Systems ) 
Hello,

I have a brand new Peterbilt 579 with an X15 and I plan on installing a FSC bypass filter on it tomorrow.

A good friend of mine has the same motor and he claims that he changes the oil and the bypass filter every 15K miles.

FSC, of course recommends changing the filter every 10K and doing oil samples and extended drains which after reading this I don't like the sound of.

I wanted to know what you guys thought about changing the oil and bypass filter every 15K miles like my buddy does?

FSC is filtration solutions company by the way, out of Kansas.

Thank you!
replyreply
Their website is horrible design. Typical garbage frontpage webdesign crap.

no product catalog, no pricing, no pictures of the system except for one stupid photo for a unit that looks like it belongs on a pick-up truck.

most the guys on here use the amsoil bypass kit,.. it works just fine and is cheap as hell comparatively.

if you go with that other system, take some pics of the install and let us know what it cost.

======

your oil change frequency should be based on your average fuel mileage, not some damn set milage interval...

(03-01-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Do the right thing,.. change your oil based on your fuel consumption instead of regular mileage intervals.

Here is what I would recommend to others based on what I have seen..

If your average fuel mileage every 10,000 miles is ...

less than 5 MG -- Change your oil every 8,000 miles or so.

5 - 6 MPG -- Change your oil every 10,000 - 12,000 miles or so.

6 - 7 MPG -- Change your oil every 12,000 - 15,000 miles or so.

7 - 8 MPG -- Change your oil every 15,000 - 18,000 miles or so.

8 - 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 18,000 - 22,000 miles or so.

above 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 22,000 - 28,000 miles or so.

These recommendations are based on more than just engine wear alone. They are based on getting the most engine life vs the cost of oil changes themselves, and the fact that soot and other deposits are going to keep building up in your engine more rapidly than you can flush them out. A bypass oil filter system can extend this, but not by the claims they are making. You would be good to get an extra 8,000 - 10,000 miles on your oil before having to change it anyways. That is my experience on it, and is what I tell others that ask about these types of systems, etc.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...617#pid617

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Edjahman , Casper , Toolguy
OK, thank you!
replyreply
12-25-2019, (Subject: ISX and Bypass Oil Filter Systems ) 
After reading all 10 pages of this thread i just have a questions. I have a CM2350 and am wondering if anything is different during the install process. I can still tap into the #5 port on the passenger side or is this different for the CM2350?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.