Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)...
04-16-2016, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)...
(04-12-2016 )joesherrie12 Wrote:  I have a little over 750k on my isx should I start putting gear oil in it? Or is it to late?

Run the gear lube, I started using it at around 750,000 miles after my mm, and she liked it, as it helped boost my oil pressure. It also quieted her down a bit and other than the stares at Speedco, I will continue to use the Sta-Lube on my fresh motor. The gear oil has the additives that our motors need, especially the zinc. That is an interesting read in itself, the zinc as an additive, or also known as ZDDP and how it all works. In my mind, the more zinc the better, especially in our low pressure motors.

Just to add, I'm in for an in-frame too, at 900,000. I am the third owner of the truck, and the only real records I have been able to find for this truck are the oil changes. She had regular service at 15,000 or so miles since new. Always used Rotella T regular oil and FleetGuard filters. When we pulled the motor apart, the cam lobes were still good, no sign of wear. The head journals were good too along with rod and main bearings. I had a slight copper spike in my last oil analysis and really cannot visually see where that came from. I do know that I was starting to lose oil pressure, she was down to 32 to 34 psi when I took her in along with the blown head gasket and at least one bad injector. All injectors are being replaced along with to many parts to list...

It was time...
replyreply
04-20-2016, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
Well people I couldn't find the a gallon of the Walmart brand of gear oil so I went to auto zone and bought their brand of 85-145 gl-5 gear oil and put it in today.
replyreply
04-21-2016, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
(04-20-2016 )joesherrie12 Wrote:  Well people I couldn't find the a gallon of the Walmart brand of gear oil so I went to auto zone and bought their brand of 85-145 gl-5 gear oil and put it in today.

Here is a link to the Sta Lube "GL4" that Rawze and a few of us use... http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL24239-G...B000M8RYMC

I normally buy it two gallons at a time, and use one gallon per oil change using Shell Rotella T oil.

That GL5 you bought, may be a bit to harsh for your internals from what I know. Here is a good white paper on the differences. http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

I believe Rawze has referenced this write up in the past. The GL5 tends to strip away the yellow metals in our motors. The GL4 is less harsh and actually protects the copper/brass components. I may be totally off base, but I would not put that in your motor until you know more.

Here is a clip from that white paper...

When someone tells you that their GL-5 covers GL-4, remember they are correct as far as EP protection, but that is only half the answer. When they say their Sulfur/Phosphorous additive will not corrode the yellow metals, they are also correct, but if there are enough to meet GL-5 protection, they will slowly peel away your brass synchronizers.

What should you do if you cannot find a GL-4 that does not include GL-5 on it's label? My next choice, and one I almost did even though I have plenty of GL-4 80W-90, would be a SAE 50 oil that meets CAT TO-4 specifications. My third choice would be a SAE 50 diesel motor oil of the highest API classification I could find, preferably group II. As you will see on the graph below, the temperature curve for a SAE 50 motor oil (or CAT transmission oil) and a SAE 80W-90 are very similar.

Hope this helps!
replyreply
Actually, GL-5 works just fine!.... I have verified that the newer GL-5 oils are no problem and in my own engine after running mostly gl-5 (1 gallon / 12% at every oil change) in it for 955,00 miles,.. the copper components look beautiful!.

Here is some "yellow metal" form my own engine that ran gear lube GL-5 extensively. These components HAVE NOT YET BEEN CLEAN OR EVEN WIPED OFF YET!...
./uploads/201604/post_2_1461240274_a4345aff0fc3430fa80787f282e78a31.jpg

I actually only ran the GL-4 for about a year towards the end, but switched back on purpose just to see if those claims were true or not.

I don't see any etching or discoloring like that paper shows,... Only what you would normally see in any engine at that age, but a LOT less wear than expected.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Drybulktanker , AnOldDog , Roysbigtoys
(04-21-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Actually, GL-5 works just fine!.... I have verified that the newer GL-5 oils are no problem and in my own engine after running both gl-4 and gl-5 in it for 900,00 miles,.. the copper components look beautiful!.

Got it! I did not know for sure. I know there are differences in the additive packages and how everything is now trending in regards to these new motors and new ratings on these lubricating products. It is hard to keep up with everything! Thanks for setting me straight.
replyreply
Its all good my friend,.. just letting everyone know that it is nowhere near what that white paper claims.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I am starting to wonder if 10% gear lube will help my toyota -- ?? lol

replyreply
05-04-2016, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
Went to Walmart today and bought some 85-140. They had 80-90 but I wasn't sure if that would work or not and was second guessing myself as to if it was 85-90 that I read or not, haha. I'm at 463,100 roughly on my 2250, so would the 85-140 be ok to use at this point? I just had a pm done at Speedco in Walcott yesterday, just before I read this thread of course, so I'll wait until my next pm to add it in.

User's Signature: 2012 Cascadia ISX15 CM2250
replyreply
05-05-2016, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
I found stalube gl4 and gl5 at Napa

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.