Oil leak
11-19-2016, (Subject: Oil leak ) 
Video Oil leak
Good evening guys been a while, just wondering if anyone had an oil leak on a 871 on back of engine that runs down the side makig it look like it's in between motor and transmission? Thanks in advance
replyreply
RE: Oil leak
(11-19-2016 )Coco620 Wrote:  Good evening guys been a while, just wondering if anyone had an oil leak on a 871 on back of engine that runs down the side makig it look like it's in between motor and transmission? Thanks in advance

That would more than likely be the bell housing gasket, I forget what it is called... It is not cheap to fix. Around $2400+ If you have it fixed, may as well have the clutch replaced while you are at it, as everything needs to come out..
replyreply
camshaft cover behind the head.

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
(11-19-2016 )Coco620 Wrote:  Good evening guys been a while, just wondering if anyone had an oil leak on a 871 on back of engine that runs down the side makig it look like it's in between motor and transmission? Thanks in advance

Yes, this is commonly referred to as the "rear structure" gasket. The correct Cummins part that is leaking is the "flywheel housing gasket".
I was quoted at 24 hrs to do the job.
I am planning to do it myself when I shut down for year end.
In order to replace the gasket;
Drop tranny,
Pull clutch,
Pull flywheel,
Either use overhead crane to support engine or: pull oil pan and use 2 jacks and blocks to support engine block,
Remove motor mounts,
Remove flywheel housing,
While your here take the time and R & R your rear crank seal because if you don't and it develops a leak, your coming right back here!
Clean housing & block, careful not to contaminate the oil galley at the top of the housing as this feeds #7 main bearing as well as the drivers side oil galleys,
Reassemble in reverse order...

Lots of fun!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(11-19-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  

That would more than likely be the bell housing gasket, I forget what it is called... It is not cheap to fix. Around $2400+ If you have it fixed, may as well have the clutch replaced while you are at it, as everything needs to come out..

I was afraid to hear that lol since the clutch is a year old I even asked the shop to do it and rear main as well they didn't cuz it wasn't leaking..
replyreply
(11-19-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  

Yes, this is commonly referred to as the "rear structure" gasket. The correct Cummins part that is leaking is the "flywheel housing gasket".
I was quoted at 24 hrs to do the job.
I am planning to do it myself when I shut down for year end.
In order to replace the gasket;
Drop tranny,
Pull clutch,
Pull flywheel,
Either use overhead crane to support engine or: pull oil pan and use 2 jacks and blocks to support engine block,
Remove motor mounts,
Remove flywheel housing,
While your here take the time and R & R your rear crank seal because if you don't and it develops a leak, your coming right back here!
Clean housing & block, careful not to contaminate the oil galley at the top of the housing as this feeds #7 main bearing as well as the drivers side oil galleys,
Reassemble in reverse order...

Lots of fun!
Lots of fun! Lol Thank you
replyreply
11-20-2016, (Subject: Oil leak ) 
$108 for the rear seal,
$70 for the flywheel housing gasket,
$10 for the other little gasket,
$220 for motor mounts,
$100 for beer,
3 days under my truck,
PRICELESS!!!!

more beer

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(11-20-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  $108 for the rear seal,
$220 for motor mounts,
$100 for beer,
3 days under my truck,
PRICELESS!!!!

more beer
You have a garage? Or live in warmer climates?
replyreply
(11-20-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  $108 for the rear seal,
$220 for motor mounts,
$100 for beer,
3 days under my truck,
PRICELESS!!!!

more beer

Lol lol lol

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.