Truck will not start
11-22-2016, (Subject: Truck will not start ) 
RE: Truck will not start
(11-22-2016 )74bassman Wrote:  Thanks, the truck started. I think it might be the ignition switch I 0layed with the key and worked.
The starter did make a click sound, went I tried to start the truck but didn't turn over.

If it Clicks it's either low voltage or the solenoid on the way out.
My bet is the solenoid. You may get away with it for awhile but that's the two minute warning.
Ours was doing the same before I replaced, one week later the relay on the replacement failed.
Sometimes you just can't win.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
You can replace just the selnoid?
replyreply
(11-22-2016 )74bassman Wrote:  You can replace just the selnoid?
Sure but you'll need to find a rebuild shop that does remans.
Usually the starter drive is fatigued about the same time.
How many times do you want to do the job?

I went with the $175 reman from a local shop (39 MT Delco) to replace the Mitsubishi OEM Paccar.
That one lasted 6 years and was a SOB to get out, collar was seized, corroded in so tight it took a 10lb hammer and lots of liquid wrench to get it out. 2 of the 3 bolts were seized so an impact gun is highly recommended since space is so tight you can only get maybe a 1/8 turn on them in a very tight space.

I don't remember who said it, "never seize everything" because the factory doesn't!

If I have to do it again, new Mitsubishi. Not worth missing a load, delivery or road service to save a few bucks.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
You need to check with multimeter 12v. When you turn "start" key, 12v has to be on starter solenoid when turning key. If solenoids clicks and there is 12v means bad starter.
If there is no 12v it could be starter relay or ignition switch. You can also check your starter relay input and output with multimeter. If relay input has 12v while turning key no 12v on output meand bad relay.
Thereis old method to check if bad relay, short with wire relay output to the starter, if the starter turns means bad relay.
Also like was mentioned in previous posts make sure you have tight batteries connections, ground connections. Make sure there is no corossion on wires.

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply
(11-22-2016 )74bassman Wrote:  You can replace just the selnoid?
Yes you can replace just solenoid and its much cheaper than the whole starter. This is the most common problem why starters fail. The motor ussualy is fine. You need to look to get one online by your starter model.
Its simple to replace just need to unscrew solenoid connections and two bolts from starter. Then plug it in starter fork.

replyreply
Would it be better just to replace the whole starter?
replyreply
(11-22-2016 )74bassman Wrote:  Would it be better just to replace the whole starter?

I would.

replyreply
Just dont buy reman, remam is JUNK. Buy new

replyreply
11-23-2016, (Subject: Truck will not start ) 
My Prostar wasn't getting 12v to the top of the starter. I don't know where the problem was, ignition switch or clutch switch, and likely never will solve it. I just ran a new wire from the starter to the dash and installed a pushbutton switch.

To a very small degree, this is also an anti-theft device for anyone that doesn't know that button is what starts the engine.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.