Paccar MX-13 tuning
10-13-2017, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
RE: Paccar MX-13 tuning
(10-13-2017 )Mx13Heavyhaul Wrote:  Yes, paccar does not play around. This is not the first time I have seen them replace the entire engine. How is the new engine e running ? You should have a few miles on her by now?

Truck isn’t mine and I haven’t followed up with the owner. Last I heard they were replacing the entire engine and after treatment system due to debris. Piece of the injector or piston took out the turbo. Which in turn filled after treatment with carnage. I wouldn’t be surprised if the truck isn’t out of the shop yet. Peterbilt was negotiating with him for compensation for down time though.
replyreply
10-22-2017, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
(10-13-2017 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 )Mx13Heavyhaul Wrote:  Yes, paccar does not play around. This is not the first time I have seen them replace the entire engine. How is the new engine e running ? You should have a few miles on her by now?

Truck isn’t mine and I haven’t followed up with the owner. Last I heard they were replacing the entire engine and after treatment system due to debris. Piece of the injector or piston took out the turbo. Which in turn filled after treatment with carnage. I wouldn’t be surprised if the truck isn’t out of the shop yet. Peterbilt was negotiating with him for compensation for down time though.

Where I work we have a fleet of 6 roll off trucks with the Paccar. We only have had 1 with a major engine failure. It was defective right from the dealer with head gasket issues. They replaced the complete engine and up the hp for free.

Now we have order a 2018 Ca legal 4 axle Heavy haul MX13 510hp 1850 torque with 18 spd. We will find out how well it does with hauling 140k gross.

I was hoping to find some info on tuners for this engine. I saw bully dog has a tuner for it. I'm afraid that would leave a foot print in the cpu. I have seen plug in tuners that go in after the cpu which would be best for what I need. There just isnt any real info on them by people that have used them.
replyreply
10-22-2017, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
(10-22-2017 )Mx13Heavyhaul Wrote:  I was hoping to find some info on tuners for this engine. I saw bully dog has a tuner for it. I'm afraid that would leave a foot print in the cpu. I have seen plug in tuners that go in after the cpu which would be best for what I need. There just isnt any real info on them by people that have used them.

If the tuning is as bad as it is for ISX by them, then I would run like hell the other way. Just because someone has figured out how to get into one does not mean they have any clue how to do a good job.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dhirocz , overshot , Signature620
10-23-2017, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
(10-22-2017 )Mx13Heavyhaul Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  

Where I work we have a fleet of 6 roll off trucks with the Paccar. We only have had 1 with a major engine failure. It was defective right from the dealer with head gasket issues. They replaced the complete engine and up the hp for free.

Now we have order a 2018 Ca legal 4 axle Heavy haul MX13 510hp 1850 torque with 18 spd. We will find out how well it does with hauling 140k gross.

I was hoping to find some info on tuners for this engine. I saw bully dog has a tuner for it. I'm afraid that would leave a foot print in the cpu. I have seen plug in tuners that go in after the cpu which would be best for what I need. There just isnt any real info on them by people that have used them.

The smaller Paccars are actually rebranded Cummins engines.
The MX13 seems to have a really tough head gasket and cylinder head. A friends driver had a water pump failure (their water pumps seem to be junk) and pegged the coolant temp gauge at 300. Towed to Pete, new pump installed and it runs fine. I was expecting at least a dozen cracks in the head. On other engine forums there are lots of guys testing the limits with waste gated turbos and the valves seem to be the weakest link. Several have dropped valves, not sure if it’s in the tuning or if they’re building enough pressure to hold the valves open or what.
If you’re looking for something that doesn’t leave a footprint for warranty purposes you’re probably better off just leaving it alone.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mx13Heavyhaul
08-24-2018, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
(10-23-2017 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  The smaller Paccars are actually rebranded Cummins engines.
The MX13 seems to have a really tough head gasket and cylinder head. A friends driver had a water pump failure (their water pumps seem to be junk) and pegged the coolant temp gauge at 300. Towed to Pete, new pump installed and it runs fine. I was expecting at least a dozen cracks in the head. On other engine forums there are lots of guys testing the limits with waste gated turbos and the valves seem to be the weakest link. Several have dropped valves, not sure if it’s in the tuning or if they’re building enough pressure to hold the valves open or what.
If you’re looking for something that doesn’t leave a footprint for warranty purposes you’re probably better off just leaving it alone.

Any updates on the Paccar?
replyreply
09-04-2018, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
(01-11-2017 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  Yeah, I've always been told the rod ratio on ISX is the lowest of the 15 liters. But I've never measured the center to center length myself and divided it by the stroke. The differences are fractions of an inch. I seem to recall the ratio being listed around 1.507 or so off the top of my head. If my memory serves from my high school readings of Smokey Yunick and other engine building guides, a rod ratio of 1.5 was considered the absolute minimum for an engine to be halfway durable and 1.7 was the sweet spot. NASCAR and Indy shoot for 1.9 to 2.2. Although that's as much for increased dwell time as durability. If you're into hot rods ask an engine builder why road racers who run small block chevys go through so much trouble with custom pistons/pins and ring packs to run a 6" rod vs the factory 5.7"? Think you could eyeball the 3/10" difference? But it increases rod ratio from 1.52 to 1.6.

The side effects of too low of a rod ratio are increased wear on the thrust side of cylinder walls/liners, pistons that rock in the bore breaking wrist pins and fretting.
These effects get exponentially greater as power levels rise.

Yeah, that's about the bulk of it. A long rod is almost always better, certainly is for durability. It does have an effect on other things though, like piston speed, bore and skirt wear, torque production and cam selection. I'm rather surprised that Cummins didn't go with a longer rod myself, 1.5 is not horrible but far from optimal.

...then again, I'm not surprised either. I remember looking for a hot minute to see if one could mix and match rotating assembly parts to make a better bottom end...got close, but I came up empty handed.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
10-26-2018, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
So where are you guys going for tuning and info on these engines? I haven’t found any good sources. I have a 2014 579 with 500/1850 MX13 and my warranty runs out soon. I need to decide if I should buy extended warranty, de-mandate it or get rid of it?
replyreply
10-26-2018, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
try mommaburt, unilevers, gearhead, or Mr. Hag.
replyreply
10-27-2018, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
(10-26-2018 )Camstyn Wrote:  I need to decide if I should buy extended warranty, de-mandate it or get rid of it?

I’d say no to extending the warranty, ask what’s your concerns about the mandate and how close is it to being paid off.
I’ve heard good things about the Paccar’s and if it isn’t giving you any trouble just drive it as is. As far as tuning I can’t find enough information on them that would lead me to believe anybody has cornered that market yet. If it’s paid for or close to it enjoy that financial “breathing room” for a bit especially if you like the truck. JMO.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Camstyn

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.