The excess cam wear mystery revealed.
03-08-2018, (Subject: The excess cam wear mystery revealed. ) 
RE: The excess cam wear mystery revealed.
(03-13-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-13-2017 )Magard Wrote:  .002 of an inch wear wow. Way to go big red. Is there something to do to the block during a rebuild that would feed more oil to the cams. I've read the dime shims in oil pump bypass spring. Basically I'm asking if the cross drillings need to be opended up somewhere or is there something that needs to be tapped and plugged. This problem reminds me of Cleveland blocks and oiling issues especially after a little wear. It's a old hot rod thing. Major design flaw fixed buy drilling and taping and plugging a oil galley that wasn't really needed.

Shimming the pump with 6-8 dimes makes a huge difference in flow to the top end. It is looking like 6 dimes for the CM2250 and 2350's (only one cam up there), and 8 dimes for the CM870 and 871's does the trick nicely without getting too crazy.

The most effective solution is to ensure the oil stays clean and does not get too much wear metals built up in it. - I.E. changing the oil often, even if you use a bypass filter.

Hey Rawze, can I use stainless washers instead of dimes? We don’t have any coins here of that size. Thanks
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The excess cam wear mystery revealed. - multitask - 03-08-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.