Adding a manual fan switch??
02-15-2017, (Subject: Adding a manual fan switch?? ) 
RE: Adding a manual fan switch??
(02-15-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  snailexpress, So you had no fault codes from the Cummins side when you did this on your truck with a cummins motor? That does makes sense, all is under VECU control. I really appreciate the info! I will check to see if my green connector has PA19 pin.
Should be no faults from cummins.
Here is how it works. Coolant sensor signal from Cummins ECU going to VECU and VECU commands fan to ON. so you can turn fan On even the coolant temp is below triggering point.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
OK, thanks again for the information. I will let you know how it goes!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
I did a little more digging about doing this mod on a Volvo with a cummins motor. Here is what I found in the VECU and BBM manual on Volvo's website, in reference to connecting a 12V+, switched lead to the PA19 terminal.

"When used for a Volvo engine, the manual fan input must be connected as shown above. When used with a Cummins engine, there are two choices:

• Wire to the VECU as outlined above. However, the multiplexing setup in the ECM must be such that the “fan accessory switch” is enabled. The general “fan fea- tures” setup should be disabled.

• Wire to the ECM. In this case the manual fan must be enabled in the general “fan features” setup, and the wiring to the ECM must use a Normally Closed (N.C.) switch to ground instead of the N.O. switch to +V shown above for the VECU connector."

I can change the multiplexing setup of my ECM with Insite, to enable a fan switch through J1939, but when I do this I have to pick an address "source" that the command will come from, from a drop down menu. There are about 200 choices, none say VECU. So I am trying to figure that out next....
My other options are wire into pin #25 on the OEM, ECM harness, or add the second soleniod like Rawze mentioned above...

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
02-16-2017, (Subject: Adding a manual fan switch?? ) 
(02-15-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  I did a little more digging about doing this mod on a Volvo with a cummins motor. Here is what I found in the VECU and BBM manual on Volvo's website, in reference to connecting a 12V+, switched lead to the PA19 terminal.

"When used for a Volvo engine, the manual fan input must be connected as shown above. When used with a Cummins engine, there are two choices:

• Wire to the VECU as outlined above. However, the multiplexing setup in the ECM must be such that the “fan accessory switch” is enabled. The general “fan fea- tures” setup should be disabled.

• Wire to the ECM. In this case the manual fan must be enabled in the general “fan features” setup, and the wiring to the ECM must use a Normally Closed (N.C.) switch to ground instead of the N.O. switch to +V shown above for the VECU connector."

I can change the multiplexing setup of my ECM with Insite, to enable a fan switch through J1939, but when I do this I have to pick an address "source" that the command will come from, from a drop down menu. There are about 200 choices, none say VECU. So I am trying to figure that out next....
My other options are wire into pin #25 on the OEM, ECM harness, or add the second soleniod like Rawze mentioned above...
Don't worry about multiplexing. Switch is analog input, VECU will form the J1939 message to ECM with it address same as it does for fan on for engine break.
All settings you need.
./uploads/201702/post_1794_1487224935_a4015d0622b6c3fa29b425d340ef3076.png
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Rawze , mrseas , Kiroisx
02-16-2017, (Subject: Adding a manual fan switch?? ) 
Awesome!! thanks again snailexpress

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.