Cm2250
03-02-2017, (Subject: Cm2250 ) 
RE: Cm2250
After leaving Rawze this morning.. I'm happy to report truck is running well.. Feels like it pulls better than ever before.. Fuel milage is already up 0.7 mpg on dash just by slowing down and watching the boost.. Just 1 lil coolant leak @ the valve we installed for a coolant drain.. I'll fix it in the morning, was to hot to mess with when I seen it dripping @ delivery..
replyreply
I have a check engine light coming on, and it says fuel rail pressure. Some days it may not come on at all, and sometimes maybe once or twice a day. You can stop and turn the ignition off and then back on and it will go off. When the light comes on it will derate power, until you turn the. Key off and then back on. I've changed fuel filter and fuel water separator filter. Anyone have any idea what my problem could be?
replyreply
(03-02-2017 )halfpint Wrote:  I have a check engine light coming on, and it says fuel rail pressure. Some days it may not come on at all, and sometimes maybe once or twice a day. You can stop and turn the ignition off and then back on and it will go off. When the light comes on it will derate power, until you turn the. Key off and then back on. I've changed fuel filter and fuel water separator filter. Anyone have any idea what my problem could be?

Which fuel pump does it have on it? I would be very careful with any cel dealing with fuel pressure.. The ceramic plungers go with little to no warning. Blowing ceramic shrapnel into the oil pan. Taking the mains and rods out along the way. 2 cyl fuel pumps have 4 Allen head bolts. 3 cyl have 8 hex head bolts. You can call dealer with the last 6 of you Vin and ask if the fuel pump campaign was ever completed, or if your truck was even included in it.
replyreply
(03-02-2017 )halfpint Wrote:  I have a check engine light coming on, and it says fuel rail pressure. Some days it may not come on at all, and sometimes maybe once or twice a day. You can stop and turn the ignition off and then back on and it will go off. When the light comes on it will derate power, until you turn the. Key off and then back on. I've changed fuel filter and fuel water separator filter. Anyone have any idea what my problem could be?

Could be alot of things. When I had that displayed on my 2011 cm2250 it was air in the system. Both diesel pick up tubes in tanks had a crack and where grabbing air. Could be anything from fuel pump, injectors, pressure valve etc
replyreply
(03-02-2017 )jimeneztrans84 Wrote:  

Could be alot of things. When I had that displayed on my 2011 cm2250 it was air in the system. Both diesel pick up tubes in tanks had a crack and where grabbing air. Could be anything from fuel pump, injectors, pressure valve etc

Pump and injector test is done from insite on the cm2250.. Not a bubble test like the 871.. Once insite runs the pump pressure to max, you can not lose more than 100 psi in 1 minute with engine off.. If you fail, next step is the cut out test to see if you can trace it to just one cylinder.. And that's, currently, about the limit of my knowledge on this subject.. Maybe Rawze, Vin, gearhead, or MrHag will drop by and share some of their knowledge on this subject..
replyreply
03-03-2017, (Subject: Cm2250 ) 
Squish099 is right that the pressure test is done with Insite on the 2250, but off on the 100 lbs. Cummins says you can lose up to 4100 lbs, in 1 minute. Mine loses about 425 lbs with a brand new pump and old injectors. It is a very easy test to do if you have insite...check out Rawze's you tube of it. Remember to warm the truck up first.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Squish099
(03-03-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Squish099 is right that the pressure test is done with Insite on the 2250, but off on the 100 lbs. Cummins says you can lose up to 4100 lbs, in 1 minute. Mine loses about 425 lbs with a brand new pump and old injectors. It is a very easy test to do if you have insite...check out Rawze's you tube of it. Remember to warm the truck up first.

Swear Rawze said 100 when we ran mine.. He could have said 4100.. Truck was running at the time and my 1939 was dead so we were plugged into the engine harness, with the hood open. My 2250 only lost about 5 psi, with original injectors and pump (Rawze thinks someone checked my pump, or could have, @ some point before I bought the truck, as it says steel on it in paint marker)
replyreply
The Cummins manual says 4100 lbs is acceptable. I personally would not feel comfortable running mine if it lost that much, but that is what "mother Cummins" says is ok. Wow, only 5psi loss is awesome. I would think there would be more variance then that in the insite equipment doing the reading! I had 800 with my old three cylinder pump and it made no noticable difference in performance. 425 with the brand new pump I just installed, not reman, new. And my injectors passed the single cylinder test as well as the actual injector test on insite.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
(03-03-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  The Cummins manual says 4100 lbs is acceptable. I personally would not feel comfortable running mine if it lost that much, but that is what "mother Cummins" says is ok. Wow, only 5psi loss is awesome. I would think there would be more variance then that in the insite equipment doing the reading! I had 800 with my old three cylinder pump and it made no noticable difference in performance. 425 with the brand new pump I just installed, not reman, new. And my injectors passed the single cylinder test as well as the actual injector test on insite.

We did not do the cut out cause it easily passed the leak down.. Would have like to hear this 15L running on only 1 cyl.. I find it very interesting it will even run with the other five dead..
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.