3 cylinder fuel pump info
02-20-2017, (Subject: 3 cylinder fuel pump info ) 
3 cylinder fuel pump info
Hey guys, I am still running the old style 3 cylinder fuel pump. I have had no problems, but getting on 600K and it appears the banjo fittings on the gear pump are starting to weep a bit and so is the gasket at the front gear housing. I had planned to just buy a gasket and some sealing washers but when I got on the forum to glean some info I found all of the horror stories about ceramic plunger failure...YIKES! So my questions are:
1) do all the 3cyl pumps have ceramic plungers?

2)If so has anyone heard of a steel valve kit for the 3cyl pumps?

3)Was the Cummins campaign to replace these things, only covered in the event of failure or was it actually a recall? (I believe it is no longer active and all I can find only mention coverage in the event of a failure).

I have seen the 2cyl short block kit, and the 2cyl upgrade kit but it seems crazy to have to buy a whole new pump, and all the conversion brackets, lines, etc.. The Cummins TSB said they will still sell parts for 3cyl pumps until they run out of stock. As always thanks for any info you send my way...

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
RE: 3 cylinder fuel pump info
Bite the bullet and put on the 2cyl pump and never look back. Cost in parts is about $3600 or so and you will need a bunch of secondary stuff. Mr. Hag has done quite a few of them.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , szartman379
Thanks for the info Rawze. I have my parts guy putting the ticket together as we speak. I guess I will be biting the bullet. :(

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
02-21-2017, (Subject: 3 cylinder fuel pump info ) 
I would say u have gotten lucky. 600k miles wits 3 cylinder pump. Wow! I bought my cm2550 with 450k and drove it 2 months always praying the plungers wouldn't take out my engine. Look up some threads started about the plungers taking out the entire engine. I bought a used 2 cylinder pump and updated the plungers and when we opened the head u can see the ceramic plunger starting to crack. Don't drive it anymore it's a ticking time bomb!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Rawze , Waterloo
Thanks Jimeneztrans84, yeah I read all those threads that's what prompted this thread! I like your idea on the used pump. Maybe eBay or Vanderhaggs?? Where did you get yours? Then just buy a short block for the 2cyl. I'll see what I can find. I am still waiting for the tally from my parts guy on new parts....

replyreply
I just called the stealership yesterday to see if the campaign was ever done on my truck.. He comes back and says it was never included therfore shouldn't have the ceramic plungers.. Can you tell without pulling the head of if it's a 2 cyl or the 3 cyl?
replyreply
(02-21-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Thanks Jimeneztrans84, yeah I read all those threads that's what prompted this thread! I like your idea on the used pump. Maybe eBay or Vanderhaggs?? Where did you get yours? Then just buy a short block for the 2cyl. I'll see what I can find. I am still waiting for the tally from my parts guy on new parts....

I got mine from LKQ. I asked how many miles were on the truck that it came off. Opened the head and swapped all updated parts. I paid 1,200 shipped if I can remember.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
(02-21-2017 )Squish099 Wrote:  I just called the stealership yesterday to see if the campaign was ever done on my truck.. He comes back and says it was never included therfore shouldn't have the ceramic plungers.. Can you tell without pulling the head of if it's a 2 cyl or the 3 cyl?

3 cylinder pump is longer. I think rawze has some pics on one of his threads.
replyreply
Several people I know have been getting these letters from Cummins recently. Most of the owners have all ready rid themselves of the things. Replacing them with gliders or Paccars or are no longer owner operators due to these engines.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201702/post_895_1487700783_056da210ace7ccf58939b923a25c1531.jpg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.