cummins isx injector
03-01-2017, (Subject: cummins isx injector ) 
RE: cummins isx injector
The gauge gets its boost reading from the vecu, which gets its signal from the ecm, which gets its signal from the imap in the intake manifold.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , race7820000
running empty against heavy wind with 68mph will cause a a lot of boost, it is not the weight of the load but wind that causes boost on flat ground
from my experience running empty with no wind might have 10mph, with a wind 15-20mph side or front it drops to 7mph lol
replyreply
Well I'm not talking about today's wind in illinois which I'm sure was gusting 40 to 50 lol im talking about a calm day , even bobtail it boosts 15 to 20 almost all the time crusing down the road. I didn't know if the vgt turbo builds more boost that the older ones ?

It doesn't have a engine light on and never shows one but when u hook up computer it says vgt controller not with in voltage,I've tested connection and it tests good. It threw the code 258 times.

I just assumed having broken injector Springs was the miss lol evidently I was incorrect.

I haven't looked at the crank sensor or the cam sensor, I don't know if they don't throw codes are they not bad?

I changed the air temperature and sensor by thermostat cause they were super packed with soot and I have no clue how they were reading
replyreply
03-02-2017, (Subject: cummins isx injector ) 
Ok.......so today I'm in chicago at a rail, I shut truck off to get my paperwork then started it up and it started to miss horrible, like an injector went out.

I get it home and put on computer and it had a code for cylinder imbalance several times. Did a cyl performance test and #1 failed. Did a cut out test and as soon as u try to run #1 by it self it dies instantly. And when u cut one by one #1 doesn't make a difference.

Do injectors go out like that all of a sudden?

I'm thinking (hoping ) that this rebuilt injector was bad out of the box and was weak giving me my engine vibration. Proly just a dream though

Coolant is still full, good oil pressure ,runs cool

Here is a pic of #1 I pulled out

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
Is it missing the ball plug?

./uploads/201703/post_1037_1488503745_582c71041eaf123a532d94db6a83d93b.png
replyreply
No its not missing the plug

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
03-03-2017, (Subject: cummins isx injector ) 
Did you do a leak test before you pulled the injector?
If yes, were there any bubbles?

Sounds to me like, yes you got a bad one.
Have you tried moving it to another cylinder to confirm the symptom follows the injector?
You may want to try that to completely eliminate the possibility of some other issue. Moving the injector to follow symptoms is part of the troubleshooting tree, and they may ask if you did that before warranting it. Less than likely though as if it was another issue, it should be the front bank, not just one cylinder.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
03-03-2017, (Subject: cummins isx injector ) 
I didn't do the leak test, I do have fancy plate and hose from cummins though.

I got an injector and switched it out this am. Took truck on a 400 mile run. It was definitely the problem.

I was going to check what people call the static timing, do u put the wedges in to check that?
replyreply
03-04-2017, (Subject: cummins isx injector ) 
(03-03-2017 )race7820000 Wrote:  I didn't do the leak test, I do have fancy plate and hose from cummins though.

I got an injector and switched it out this am. Took truck on a 400 mile run. It was definitely the problem.

I was going to check what people call the static timing, do u put the wedges in to check that?

Lmao at the "I do have fancy plate and hose from cummins though"

On mine, (and all the other 871's I've helped guys work on) you remove the fitting that the return to crankcase oil drain from the crankcase filter housing enters the block. It's an 11/16". This is where when you bar the motor to the INSERT PIN mark on the damper you insert the crank pin. You do not have to remove the hose from the fitting and risk breaking the plastic fitting, you can unscrew the fitting and it will turn in the hose.
Pop the rocker cover and bar the motor to IP where the "flats" on the cams are in the correct positions and insert the crank pin into the crank notch. Drop the correct wedges into the appropriate grooves in the head. The correct wedges can be found on quickserve as well as the Dataplate on your rocker cover. The wedges may not seat fully to the bottom of the head, but you aren't concerned about that. You want the cam flats to be flush to the wedge flat without a gap. If they do, your timing is good, if not, you've got a job ahead of you.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , race7820000

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.