cummins isx injector
03-05-2017, (Subject: cummins isx injector ) 
RE: cummins isx injector
Anybody have try this?

replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
(03-05-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  Anybody have try this?

Wow, that is a detailed timing measurement procedure!
I see that they list 3 additional timing wedges that I have not heard of before at 4-1/4, 4-1/2, & 4-3/4 degree wedges to more precisely set static injection timing. I don't have these tools, but now I'm interested in verifying my timing more accurately.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Unlike what that article says, You can measure what the static timing is at with the wedges too.

1) Let the engine cool to room temperature completely. MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COOLED OFF ALL THE WAY TO ROOM TEMPERATURE WHEN DOING THIS!. - Otherwise, the wedge will get stuck and become difficult to remove as the engine is cooling down.

2) Rotate engine to correct position and pin the crank.

3) Place this on the crank shaft damper and zero it out while applying slight clockwise pressure on barring device ...

./uploads/201703/post_2_1488718358_dea573b8437766b31648f189f4388811.jpg

4) remove the pin

5) insert the correct wedge and work engine gently back and fourth until it seats fully. The line scribed into the wedge will be even with the top of the head where they meet.

6) Move the crank gently and find the center of the backlash. See how far off it is on the angle gauge. If it is less than a degree then there is on way in hell that the engine is going to make black smoke enough to clog filters simply from timing error. It is not that sensitive. You can also use this to measure if the backlash in degrees is excessive too (intermediate gear out of alignment).

Lastly, do the same for the valve cam.

======

no need for expensive tool. No need to pull injectors and take things apart.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kalsandhu , Hammerhead , Texasdude74 , snailexpress , race7820000 , scottydogtruck , Waterloo
Should a guy buy the wedges from cummins? Or is there aftermarket cheaper ones that are just as good?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: TBEV
(03-05-2017 )race7820000 Wrote:  Should a guy buy the wedges from cummins? Or is there aftermarket cheaper ones that are just as good?

I bought mine from a guy on eBay.
He's a machinist making knock-off Cummins tools. Not trying to promote, but I thought the quality was very good.
I got the following for US$800.00
-wedges & crank pin set
-cam gear puller
-front crank seal puller/installer
-rear crank seal puller/installer
If you know the Genuine Cummins cost of these tools, it is a pretty good deal.
If anyone is interested PM me and I'll pass along his email.
I won't openly advertise for someone on Rawze's site without his Ok first.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , race7820000
The reason why I was going to check timing is for one I need to learn and for 2 I think there is alot of play (backlash) in the gears. Like a sloppy timing chain on a sbc with 200k miles lol.

When I put injectors in and turned Motor over I went past a cylinder to adjust and turned the crank the other way. And I thought there was alot like the crank moved a 1/4 before it turned cams. It's not really a quarter but that's what it felt like for describing reasons. I didn't trust going backwards because of the slop so I turned Motor over like normal until I got to the cylinder to adjust again.

In my mind the buzz vibration could be the gears with to much slop.

It does run night and day better with working injectors of course.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.