Engine Down
02-26-2017, (Subject: Engine Down ) 
Engine Down
Truck was running fine made a delivery in upper state NY Running empty to my next load climbing a small hill and she started skipping and popping so i pulled over The first thing i did was pull the valve cover and didn't notice anything.At that point i knew i needed a tow truck so i called the last place i delivererd at they were a crane company and i was a crane operator and asked them for a recommendation for a shop and they suggested Johns Repair Shop. Than they offered to cum out and get my trailer for me and they did. I called Johns and they sent a wrecker and towed it to their shop..after pulling the cover and having another look we saw nothing wrong so we unplugged the ECM and cranked it over and noted it had a dead cylinder.....John said this wasn't in his scope of work ,,,,So i got on the phone and found a shop and towed it there..They thought it was a broken piston and pulled the head it turned out to be a broken valve in cyl #6 So they are putting new valves new seats and guides where needed new injectors The piece of the valve damaged the turbo so new turbo,thermostat,rod and main bearings all that will set me back $14k Not good because i just bought a new trailer 2 weeks ago....When it rains it pours
replyreply
RE: Engine Down
Sounds like maybe the head is worn out.

pics of the broken valve would be nice.

Here is a reference...

./uploads/201702/post_2_1488163297_01c4c08fc2c003cc5937e32d37b6ab0a.jpg

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pro Star Cummins , Redpower870
I'm with Rawze. With the amount of miles you have on that truck, I'd replace the head with a NEW one. I think you are asking for trouble placing new valves into an old head. Probably be the same amount of money, no?

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redpower870
02-27-2017, (Subject: Engine Down ) 
If you popped the top on the head roadside, you had to know there were issues... Why did you not fix it before this disastor?
replyreply
I agree with Billdozer2 and Rawze....new head...just did a new casting on my 870 and loving the results so far, only a few hundred more than reman. The Bay is where I got mine. Mexican casting but what isn't now-a-days....improved cooling and noticable flow improvement on intake side....happy-happy.

User's Signature: I don't understand everything I know and the world is probably better off for it.
replyreply
(02-26-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Sounds like maybe the head is worn out.

pics of the broken valve would be nice.

Here is a reference...

I should of taken a pix of the valve it has a pie shaped piece out of it. there were 6-8 valve guids that were worn out the valvs appeared to be already ground the face was thin and the seats were worn on some of the valves there was no contact line from the seat especially the ones with bad guides
replyreply
(02-26-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  I'm with Rawze. With the amount of miles you have on that truck, I'd replace the head with a NEW one. I think you are asking for trouble placing new valves into an old head. Probably be the same amount of money, no?

i am replacing all the valves seats and guides so the only thing i am using is the casting and the casting is fine, it will be like a new head not a rebuilt with regrind valves the shop that is dooing the work has a machine shop on site.. the truck only has 560k on it and this head has been replaced by the previous owner or WERNER i didn't know this when i bought the truck. but after i bought it and cleaned the motor i noticed it then...
replyreply
(02-27-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  If you popped the top on the head roadside, you had to know there were issues... Why did you not fix it before this disastor?

I don't understand your reply I pulled the valve cover on the side of the road after it started skipping there was no problem with its performance prior to that it was running great
replyreply
(02-27-2017 )Redpower870 Wrote:  I agree with Billdozer2 and Rawze....new head...just did a new casting on my 870 and loving the results so far, only a few hundred more than reman. The Bay is where I got mine. Mexican casting but what isn't now-a-days....improved cooling and noticable flow improvement on intake side....happy-happy.

I would agree with you if there wasn't a machine shop on site and i am replacing all the valves, seats, and guides along with new injectors the only thing i am using is the casting it will be like a new head
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.