Idle stumble when cold...And other stuff
03-07-2017, (Subject: Idle stumble when cold...And other stuff ) 
RE: Idle stumble when cold...And other stuff
I've considered a head, but if I did that, I may as well inframe/@m*m^2 it. Every time I'd get the chance, however, something else would break first :/

I'm wondering if I've got a carbon packed engine here. Just astonished at how fast this happened. Hell, I put in a new IMAP 25k ago and it was already mostly plugged. Oil consumption has gone up recently as well, from 1 to 3 gallons every 15k. Started getting DPF face plug alarms too out of nowhere. That one really surprised me(long story there).

Already put on a new damper, also 25k ago.

I don't know how well the ISX would take to rods and mains from the bottom. I could always do it if I chose to fix rather than inframe. I was planning on calling hagais tomorrow and talking to them after I heard back from my company.

Anyone know if there is a way to tell if you have carbon packing, short of pulling the injectors and using a boroscope? Even then, I might not see it. If it's packed I may as well bite the bullet.
replyreply
Just curious if you ever noticed it change the way it idled after you pulled a pretty good hill and stoped at the top to get out and stretch your legs or something. Maybe sounded smoother? Just curious I've had that before on a different brand of engine with overhead cam and then had cam trouble. I didn't know it was a sign of trouble.
replyreply
(03-07-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  OK so I need a new cam. Rocker was on its way out on #1 exhaust but hadn't scarred up the cam yet. But when I rolled the engine over, I found the same on the #5 intake...Which started to eat the cam.

With 685k on it I need to decide what direction to take. I'm fairly disappointed, seeing as I've made sure to change oil every 15k or less, have done multiple oil analysis done which all came back clean, run a filter mag, and run a bypass filter and this still happened. At least I caught it earlier rather than later. Had the truck since 607k.

Cam lost about .030" off the lobe.

If I decide to replace, I suppose I should plan for a new cam, rocker arms, drop and flush the pan, inspect/ replace the oil pump and replace the oil cooler...? I would also pull a couple caps and check the bearings while the pan was off.

you have 685k on it, it has 605 k you say when you got it. The damage was done long before you purchased it from what it sounds like. The bad lobes are likely due to plugged cross-channels in the rocker arm and worn out bearings, lowering the pressure to the whole rail.

There are solutions like shimming the pump and running a gallon of gear lube to raise hydraulic pressure ratings and protect the cams. Question is do you want to invest in it, get it right again, and own it long term. If so, then don't be shy about it, or you will continue to do nothing but chase your tail. I see too many on this forum that have been there and done that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: axe
I figured what was done was done mostly before I got it. Like I said, ex fleet truck.

I've put lots of new parts into it before this point. All new tier 1 tires, brakes, shocks, dryer, fuel lines, brakes, you name it. Company is supposed to help me with a solution since I still owe $15k on it. I've tried everything to get more life out of this engine. Better not involve me taking it to Cummins. I hear that place is a disaster around here.

Also been running a gallon of gear lube with good results, per your recommendation.

I'll explore my options more tomorrow when everything opens back up.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.