older truck vs newer truck
08-06-2017, (Subject: older truck vs newer truck ) 
RE: older truck vs newer truck
In my eyes, my first experience with a truck validated my point. If you:

-cannot or will not wrench in or learn how to maintain your equipment,
-buy into the idea of a warranty so much you are willing to loose $ to use it,
-like driving to the dealership,
-dont care about long term profitability or true ownership of your business,
-gotta have the newest shiniest toy and are willing to almost never be home to pay for it

...buy new.

If you are like most here, who:

-arent afraid to learn about and work on your truck during your downtime,
-want to TRULY own your truck/business,
-dont want a truck bankrupting you while the stealership 'tries' to fix it since you have a 'warranty',
-believe there's more value in a well cared for $30k truck thats paid for, versus a new mandated $145k truck you pay on weekly,
-plan on looking at your truck from a business standpoint as well as all decisions regarding it,

...buy an ISX equipped, nice, used truck.

Some might not agree entirely with my views, but seeing new Pete's in and out of the shop is enough for me. I'll stick with my 871.

I'm no longer intimidated by working on my truck, and thanks to the folks here and their advice, I took a turd that would have bankrupted most and managed to make a nice living for my family and keep it rolling and away from these so called 'techs' at these shops eager to rip me off. And I'm weeks away from holding the title in my hand.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Kid Rock , Rawze , Rounded_nut , Hammerhead , Waterloo , BobsYourUncle , Moose , hhow55 , Chamberpains
08-06-2017, (Subject: older truck vs newer truck ) 
Very well put.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
12-16-2017, (Subject: older truck vs newer truck ) 
(03-28-2017 )JEastonjr Wrote:  Hi folks, New to the world o Rawze.
Thank for accepting me into your world.
My name is Jay and I'm wanting to be OO.
My question is with all the problems motors are having, Would be better to get a older truck with a few miles (800 to a mil) pre emission and spending to rebuild it.
I'm thinking Pete 379 cat c15 pre emission twin tubro. A well maintained truck.
I hope I'm being clear enough.
Want to hear all comments good or bad.
Thanks

It's my understanding you would be best served
to steer clear of any cat twin turbo engines they are early model emissions engines and are junk !!! Correct me if I am wrong ....Please
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rockhwy
12-17-2017, (Subject: older truck vs newer truck ) 
I wouldn't say they are junk bottom end and piston are pretty tuff. I own a 2005 379 Peterbilt with 475 go 1850 torque it has 1485000 miles on it I had it overhauled at 956000 miles. That being said I would not encourage anyone to buy one that hasn't owned a truck before I bought mine in 2007 my ninth truck in 40 years but this engine has not been made since 2007, 2008- 2010 were different than mine because of adding DPF and regene system. My opinion is with all the information on this site cummins would be my choice. By the way I drive like Rawze talks about I get passed by lots of aerodynamic trucks and the FedEx, ups,xpo,old dominium Estes ect.
replyreply
12-17-2017, (Subject: older truck vs newer truck ) 
(12-16-2017 )seldomseen Wrote:  
(03-28-2017 )JEastonjr Wrote:  Hi folks, New to the world o Rawze.
Thank for accepting me into your world.
My name is Jay and I'm wanting to be OO.
My question is with all the problems motors are having, Would be better to get a older truck with a few miles (800 to a mil) pre emission and spending to rebuild it.
I'm thinking Pete 379 cat c15 pre emission twin tubro. A well maintained truck.
I hope I'm being clear enough.
Want to hear all comments good or bad.
Thanks

It's my understanding you would be best served
to steer clear of any cat twin turbo engines they are early model emissions engines and are junk !!! Correct me if I am wrong ....Please

I'd take any twin turbo cat over a 2250, that's for sure. Aside from some occasional iva issues. They're quite solid. I doubt you'll get the mpg with one that you can with an 871, but they are, in my opinion a good engine. With good maintenance they generally go along time. Throw in a couple $$$ for some good tuning makes even better.
replyreply
11-05-2018, (Subject: older truck vs newer truck ) 
Cummins are very easy to get competitively priced parts online.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.