Crankshaft endplay
03-28-2017, (Subject: Crankshaft endplay ) 
Crankshaft endplay
How much endplay should a 06 550 isx have?
replyreply
03-28-2017, (Subject: Crankshaft endplay ) 
RE: Crankshaft endplay
That would depend on how worn out the thrust bearings are.

Starting at 14:42 in this video, the thrust bearings are mentioned...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: race7820000
03-31-2017, (Subject: Crankshaft endplay ) 
I need to get a dial indicator tomm, my endplay is more than .020 though cause I can see it move, it looks like alot but the only way to know iso with the right tools. I pulled the pan off and I have to get a socket for my 1 inch impact tomm also cause I can't break a main cap loose. I did pull a rod bearing and here is what it looked like. I didn't think it looked to bad for having 1.1 mil miles.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
04-01-2017, (Subject: Crankshaft endplay ) 
(03-31-2017 )race7820000 Wrote:  I need to get a dial indicator tomm, my endplay is more than .020 though cause I can see it move, it looks like alot but the only way to know iso with the right tools. I pulled the pan off and I have to get a socket for my 1 inch impact tomm also cause I can't break a main cap loose. I did pull a rod bearing and here is what it looked like. I didn't think it looked to bad for having 1.1 mil miles.

The lower rod bearings don't usually wear that much. Check the upper rod bearings.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I'll post some pics of what I find today. Going to replace all the bearings

The reason I pulled pan is when I shut truck off I can take a pry bar and pull crank out. Like I can see it. And if I can see it im assuming it's more than .020 lolI'm sure it's not moving as much as I think but looks like 1/16th of a inch or so. So this was my attempt to find a vibration at high rpm at idle. Does it without a trans in it also so not that.I realize what I'm doing is temporary at best.

Before I get roasted I know it needs rebuilt and I'm going to this fall, be aweful handy to figure out why it's doing what it's doing. And I'm posting so when the next guy does a search for a similar probelm he will find something and an update as to if probelm was solved .

This site is awesome, from this site I've done my own overhead, all the injectors and now the lower end bearings.
replyreply
I do know there is supposed to be end-play in the crankshaft. How much, I do not recall, but even after I put new thrust bearings in mine, there was at least some.

If your engine has a million plus on it, then there are a lot of places that can cause vibration, everything from the crank shaft damper to excess rod bearing play, to the wrist pins in the bottom, to the bearings in the head worn out and causing the overhead cams to xfer the inconsistent valve and injector operation, worn out valve seats and/or valves, actuator and injector wear, etc. etc. etc. Your possibilities are many and if it is excessive, then it may very well be time for an inframe.

I have even seen sensor issues, and even bad programming cause excess vibrations in ISX engines.

replyreply
Well got it done, ran out of light to take pics of bearings, will do that tomm. Doing stuff in a barn sucks.

There was some wear on some of the rod bearings.
Number 1 old rod bearing wouldn't stay in cap or in the rod on its own. Like it didn't have that press fit feeling.

The endplay was .021 before and after it was .010 , the thrust bearings didn't look bad nor did the cap.

The vibration is still there lol
replyreply
When was the damper last replaced? Cummins recommends every 500,000 miles. When I replaced mine at 690,000 miles the truck smoothed right out. I thought the Cummins shop dropped a new motor in it made that much of a difference.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: race7820000
That's one of the first things I did. Got it from cummins also. I mean it's possible I got a bad one but I doubt it.

I've done actuators,injectors,exhaust pressure sensor,and the ones on the intake. The toner wheel or whatever u call it that the crankshaft sensor reads is tight on crank. I've checked the air compressor to make sure it was timed right, i dont know if it makes a difference but the vibration is worse on drivers side. The mirrors and door vibrate bad and the pass side u can barely feel.

Is a 06 isx btw
550 hp
18 sp
370 gear

It runs like it has 300hp . It's terrible. U give it throttle and all it does is radiat vibration through the floor. If u floor it even with a empty Trailer it won't gain speed going up a hill.

Another thing I noticed it when your in the lower gears it has all kinds of power, almost like you could pull a front tire off the ground lol when u get into the high side it's almost like it stops giving the motor fuel. It only does it on the high side.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.