EGT Gauge in a T800
09-23-2017, (Subject: EGT Gauge in a T800 ) 
RE: EGT Gauge in a T800
(09-22-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  The pain continues...
That will be a 10 day wait after a 1650km/1000mile move! By then my waiting time charges will be higher than the transportation fees.
There are 5 of us! I'm sure the other guys are getting sick and tired of looking at my ugly mug at this point.

Yeah, but think about all the BS you can spew out about being successful and finding my forum,,... then again,.... you will just be accused of being full of s$it just like me if you do lol.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(09-23-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Yeah, but think about all the BS you can spew out about being successful and finding my forum,,... then again,.... you will just be accused of being full of s$it just like me if you do lol.

Oh, I am accused of that regularly. One of the guys here has a 2250 and it gave him a couple CEL's in the last night in. I told him I can read the codes so he knows what's going on...atypical, head buried in sand "The lights have gone out, you stay away from my truck with your damn computer!"
I replied "Are you sure, I can even show you in your programming some of the silent derates that are in there and we can disable them, like the 'Don't fill the DEF when you fill the fuel timing shift derate.'"
No kidding, he replied "You're full of sh*t, there's no way the computer in my truck knows when I fuel up and whether or not I fill the DEF tank!"
I guess he's never heard of a cab controller...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: the missing link , Rawze , Waterloo
(09-23-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(09-23-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Yeah, but think about all the BS you can spew out about being successful and finding my forum,,... then again,.... you will just be accused of being full of s$it just like me if you do lol.

Oh, I am accused of that regularly. One of the guys here has a 2250 and it gave him a couple CEL's in the last night in. I told him I can read the codes so he knows what's going on...atypical, head buried in sand "The lights have gone out, you stay away from my truck with your damn computer!"
I replied "Are you sure, I can even show you in your programming some of the silent derates that are in there and we can disable them, like the 'Don't fill the DEF when you fill the fuel timing shift derate.'"
No kidding, he replied "You're full of sh*t, there's no way the computer in my truck knows when I fuel up and whether or not I fill the DEF tank!"
I guess he's never heard of a cab controller...

I have come to the conclusion that most truck owners any more simply want to fail vs taking the time to do those things to make themselves successful. -- To do anything that makes sense is to be an outcast any more.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Waterloo
Hey Hammerhead. Does this guy in question always have a set of earbuds on? I'll bet if you took them off all you would hear is "breath in - breath out"

But then George Carlin once said "think of how stupid the average person is, then realize 1/2 of them are stupider than that". Holy jumping fu*kin shi#t balls.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Waterloo
(09-23-2017 )kryten Wrote:  Hey Hammerhead. Does this guy in question always have a set of earbuds on? I'll bet if you took them off all you would hear is "breath in - breath out"

But then George Carlin once said "think of how stupid the average person is, then realize 1/2 of them are stupider than that". Holy jumping fu*kin shi#t balls.

Lol. No, he's an old school guy that used to be a mechanic years ago, so there's no way some younger guy that has never been to mechanic school could possibly know more than the guys at his Peterbilt or Cummins store do.
I guess researching to the point of obsession can't teach me jack, so I must just be full of $h*t, and I'm ok with that.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
(09-23-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  I have come to the conclusion that most truck owners any more simply want to fail vs taking the time to do those things to make themselves successful. -- To do anything that makes sense is to be an outcast any more.

With pretty much all of the guys I work with and around, it's decades of experience. Noobs just can't walk into my line of work.
Because of this, my >25yrs of experience and almost 15yrs of exclusively HH generally makes me still makes me a newer guy.
These guys have owned equipment for so long, to take advise or input from someone like me is just unheard of, what could I possibly know that they haven't already forgot? And I've never gone to school for it, so how could I possibly have learned anything that their mechanics, who have gone to Cummins School (lmao), not know?
And they've talked to their Peterbilt, KW, and Cummins store people, and none of them have ever told them that the emission systems on these things slowly choke the life out of their engines and require periodic cleaning to restore proper function, and I've de-mandated mine because I couldn't keep mine working either. Fair point, but they won't listen to the counterpoint; that because I couldn't keep mine operating, warranty was up, and I had the Pre-Rawze knowledge all I could think to do was get rid of it. I knew there had to be a better way than what I had done, so my quest for understanding began. And understanding I ha e gained, but just like their Cummins School trained machinists, when they get to the first fault in the troubleshooting tree, they believe they've found the problem. Mine always is, "You couldn't keep it working and I de-mandated it..."

Now bring a noob into the situation who wants to get to where we are in this business, and why would they listen to me, a guy with >25yrs when the guy standing next to me has >35yrs and the newer equipment? Oh yeah, and he used to be a mechanic and all the other older guys talk to him too. Meanwhile, he won't touch his new engine because he doesn't understand all the electronic components. He'll change his own oil, but he won't even do his own overhead adjustments.
Then said noob comes to my shop to visit, and I've got the rocker shafts and injectors sitting on my work bench while I'm boroscoping my cylinders trying to find why it appears I've sunk a valve in the last 6 months, and sending the pics to Rawze and discussing my findings on mumble with him, but still goes back and takes all of his advise from the older guy? WTF!

I offer my help.
It's an open offer, but some days I wonder why I waste my breath.
Time to go read and research some more, because I still thirst for knowledge...
I mean, I'm full of

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
(09-23-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  ...
I'm boroscoping my cylinders trying to find why it appears I've sunk a valve in the last 6 months, and sending the pics to Rawze and discussing my findings on mumble with him

I think you were worried about this scenario ...
./uploads/201709/post_2_1506204185_8a5793b6f8a367cfb57d5e5a52ebc233.jpg
Reference post... http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...66#pid9466

But your boroscope video revealed this ...

./uploads/201709/post_2_1506202052_7fce60905899fc42b8de2ae53dc2dd04.jpg

I remember that. I suggested that it was more likely a rocker shaft out of adjustment than 3 sunk valves. The boroscope also revealed that the contact surface area of each valve looked good too, and that none of them looked like thay had actually sunk. - How did that turn out btw?

Tags:
valve seat wear, valve lash, valve clearance, worn valves, boroscope valves, worn head, head wear

replyreply
I get this all the time.... and I get it, why would anyone listen to me and my "internet buddies" when they've been told by XM and thier journeyman mechanic otherwise.

The most vocal are the XM guys, they are so brainwashed by things they've never even tried that it's insanity.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , rgreen , Hammerhead , Waterloo
(09-23-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-23-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  ...
I'm boroscoping my cylinders trying to find why it appears I've sunk a valve in the last 6 months, and sending the pics to Rawze and discussing my findings on mumble with him

I think you were worried about this scenario ...

Reference post... http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...66#pid9466

But your boroscope video revealed this ...

I remember that. I suggested that it was more likely a rocker shaft out of adjustment than 3 sunk valves. The boroscope also revealed that the contact surface area of each valve looked good too, and that none of them looked like thay had actually sunk. - How did that turn out btw?

Your first pic is exactly what I was afraid of.
What did you use to overlay the outlines of my (or is that one of yours) boroscope pics?
That is frickin AWESOME!

As discussed at the time, and I have no idea how it could have happened other than a bizarre sequence in the heating and cooling cycles, the front valve rocker shaft had a torsional twist in it.
During disassembly and countless measurements, every valve measured within thousands of each other, which was easily within tolerances of the measuring devices being used. We agreed after close inspection of my boroscope pics and vids that the valves and seats looked great as best we could see. So I reassembled the front shaft assemblies and ran the overhead, and all three front cyl Jake dial indicator measurements were within a couple of thou and back to normal.
So the only conclusion was the rocker shaft was torsional twisted, because the change after reassembly was greater from rear to front, and torsional rotation is the only way that can happen.
I've popped the rocker cover after the very next two loads, and dial indicator measurements have not changed.
THAT is a new one on me for sure!

Since I'm sitting around killing time anyhow, I should do a write up on that whole situation so others have a reference...

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.