CM 2250 EGR Valve question, please help...
03-30-2017, (Subject: CM 2250 EGR Valve question, please help... ) 
CM 2250 EGR Valve question, please help...
Hey guys, My CM2250's EGR valve has been whistling and weeping soot from both of its weep holes for about 10,000 miles. I finally pulled it and cleaned it out today but it changed nothing. Valve operates fine per Insite. Truck is running suspiciously good. No codes. Any ideas?? Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: CM 2250 EGR Valve question, please help...
It's whistling from the EGR itself? Or somewhere in the vicinity of the EGR valve?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
It could be failed seals in the valve body. I have seen that before and it is common on them when they get old.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Is the valve the original one, or a replacement? Weeping soot might be a sign of condensation inside the valve..would remove the valve and inspect the mixing pipe it clamps to.....also might be easier to remove the bent pipe with the temp sensor and inspect that way........

Just a thought....

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT
Thanks for the replies, Waterloo: yes it is seems to be coming from the two weep holes on the valve itself, I can even put my hand there and feel a bit of air blowing.
Scottydogtruck: I already had it off and cleaned and inspected it. All looked fine wasn't even that dirty. I made insite cycle it through the full range at key on/off and it has full range of movement. It even responds appropriately during a regen.
Rawze: please tell me more about these seals. Are they replaceable? Or just another expensive new part? Yes it is the original valve 588K. The truck seems to be running really well, mpg normal, power normal, can I run like this awhile or am I facing impending doom. (Check engine lights) Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: scottydogtruck
(03-30-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Thanks for the replies, Waterloo: yes it is seems to be coming from the two weep holes on the valve itself, I can even put my hand there and feel a bit of air blowing.
Scottydogtruck: I already had it off and cleaned and inspected it. All looked fine wasn't even that dirty. I made insite cycle it through the full range at key on/off and it has full range of movement. It even responds appropriately during a regen.
Rawze: please tell me more about these seals. Are they replaceable? Or just another expensive new part? Yes it is the original valve 588K. The truck seems to be running really well, mpg normal, power normal, can I run like this awhile or am I facing impending doom. (Check engine lights) Thanks

It looks like you have a gasket and a seal that could leak. More than likely one of those two parts if your EGR setup is like my 871... Probably what, $15 to $20 at Cummins?

Grommet Seal 3684360

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Gasket 3683537

Those are the part numbers from a 2008 CM-871. So, your mileage may vary. Look up your motor on Cummins Quickserve, that is where I found the above.

How long can you run like that? No clue, but not something I would think would leave you sitting on the side of the road. I would dig back into it and check the gasket and seal. It might not be that big of a job, fingers crossed. When you are doing that, clean the soot out of the motor... EGR Tuneup.
replyreply
03-31-2017, (Subject: CM 2250 EGR Valve question, please help... ) 
The EGR valve on the 2250 is very different from a CM871. I haven't had a chance to take one apart yet myself but I do know on a new one they do not leak like that.

Any kind of leak in the exhaust, intake, and/or EGR piping will cost you fuel mileage at the very least, and can cause regen / soot / power problems if it is bad enough.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
How about the line off of the EGR cooler, back up behind the head? That silicone hose? Just a thought... Trying to picture a whistling EGR valve, and it ain't registering.
replyreply
Waterloo, yes it seemed strange to me too. I first suspected the hose as well, that was what prompted me to pull the valve in the first place. . I figured I would pull the valve then reseat the hose with a new clamp. When I got the valve off I saw the soot leaking from both weep holes, (which I just read today, QuickServe actually says is normal?) Anyway cleaned and inspected everything in that area. Put it all back together with a new band clamp on the, hose to EGR connection. When I still heard the whistle I started feeling around the area while the engine was at high idle and I can actually feel the air coming from the weep holes when I hear the whistling. So QuickServe says the soot weeping is normal, not to replace the valve just for that, but they say nothing about the noise, and I know for a fact mine did neither of those things until about 10K ago. I have had the valve off three times in 588K to clean it as an extra step during my EGR tune ups, and it never had soot weeping from the holes before. Oh the I replaced the hose and both clamps 130,000 miles ago. Hose still looks good and pliable, no nicks.
Rawze: that's what I was afraid of. I will watch it on this run and then probably head back home to replace it.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.