wondering what would have caused this
04-06-2017, (Subject: wondering what would have caused this ) 
RE: wondering what would have caused this
well i checked the head and it was a reman and i did pay for a new head still waiting on the inspector to come out to figure out what they are going to do.
replyreply
04-06-2017, (Subject: wondering what would have caused this ) 
Had a customer that replaced his engine one time with a supposed reman from the lower main land of BC a couple years ago. He took it back for major engine repairs during his 1 year warranty period 4 times. He said the head gasket had failed all 4 times. It failed again 2 weeks after his ''warranty'' was over. Took it apart and saw right away why they had failed. The head bolt holes were full of debris and dirt and prevented full torque of the bolts. The dirt was compressed so tight on the bottom of the bolt it was almost like rock. Anyway, did a complete inframe with a new head and headbolts. The head gasket wasnt damaged as bad as this though. Not saying at all that this is the issue here but worth a check.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Brock
04-07-2017, (Subject: wondering what would have caused this ) 
wow i always clean those holes out with compressed air and brake clean until I see the bottom where the hole stops. Even oil left in the hole can lead to hydro locking and either stops torquing or can rip threads out or break the bolt. I have seen this when torquing the rocker shafts down if there is oil in there it can stop it and will not get the shaft tight or it snaps the bolt. I have seen people put the head bolts in the wrong position in cat and put two washers to get it to torque right (there's your sign fool). Messed up threads in the block when I took the bolts out because at the end of the bolt the threads where smashed when the bolt bottomed out in the block. I had to repair threads with a kit from caterpillar and it was not a cheap repair. The holes had to be drilled to bigger size rethreaded and helicoiled.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , gatow900 , Starlight , Hammerhead
04-07-2017, (Subject: wondering what would have caused this ) 
(04-07-2017 )gearhead Wrote:  wow i always clean those holes out with compressed air and brake clean until I see the bottom where the hole stops. Even oil left in the hole can lead to hydro locking and either stops torquing or can rip threads out or break the bolt. I have seen this when torquing the rocker shafts down if there is oil in there it can stop it and will not get the shaft tight or it snaps the bolt. I have seen people put the head bolts in the wrong position in cat and put two washers to get it to torque right (there's your sign fool). Messed up threads in the block when I took the bolts out because at the end of the bolt the threads where smashed when the bolt bottomed out in the block. I had to repair threads with a kit from caterpillar and it was not a cheap repair. The holes had to be drilled to bigger size rethreaded and helicoiled.

We are on the same page
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.