09 Prostar running hot
04-09-2017, (Subject: 09 Prostar running hot ) 
RE: 09 Prostar running hot
How about oil termostat? I knew one guy he had overheating problem on 06cummins and it was oil termostat. Do u have engine oil temp gauge? Try to change oil termostat. Let us know.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Mt farmer
I would guess your tstat coroded while sitting all winter and isnt opening far enough.
replyreply
No oil temp, truck only sat 2 months
replyreply
04-10-2017, (Subject: 09 Prostar running hot ) 
I don't know how you determined the radiator is clean? Did you remove it and spray it out?

Mine was starting to get hot and my mechanic kept telling me to take it apart and spray it out, I looked inside and it was clean, It was clean at the front too (or so I thought)

When I finally took it off the truck and sprayed it out, I found that when spraying the front at the truck wash, all I was doing wash pushing the bugs and crap from the ac condenser into the rad. Made a huge difference.

Especially a farm truck, that blowing crop dust plugs you up real bad! Also plugs the air filter very quickly. If the air filter is plugged, you'll get hot.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Squish099 , hhow55 , Rawze , Waterloo
Air filter is new, blew out radiator with air, I have a thin copper nozzle double side air that I use to get behind the charge cooler and ac condensor, looked through it with a flash light. It's clean
replyreply
I have seen spun crank bearings cause engines to overheat, but they usually don't make it more than a few days in that condition before welding the crank and destroying things.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Went and bought a temp gun, and hauled a load of wheat today. Temp gun show's 205 on the top radiator pipe and 140 on the bottom pipe. Dash gage said 210. Funny thing is when I shut it off and let it sit, it'll go down to about 175 in about 5 minutes. Still going up to 220-225 on the hiils.
replyreply
(04-10-2017 )Mt farmer Wrote:  Went and bought a temp gun, and hauled a load of wheat today. Temp gun show's 205 on the top radiator pipe and 140 on the bottom pipe. Dash gage said 210. Funny thing is when I shut it off and let it sit, it'll go down to about 175 in about 5 minutes. Still going up to 220-225 on the hiils.

140 on the bottom pipe sounds high to me unless it is pretty hot outside. Not sure what it typically is. Maybe others can chime in with what they usually see.

Engine fan kick in at somewhere around 205 - 215?

What is your boost getting up to and pyro?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mt farmer
Engine fan kicks in at around 210, truck has no pyro or boost gage. Temp differential seems about right, does the temp sensor tell the fan when to go on? Maybe the sensor is bad and reading high.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.