Detroit Radiator PowerMaxx CAC....
04-17-2017, (Subject: Detroit Radiator PowerMaxx CAC.... ) 
Detroit Radiator PowerMaxx CAC....
Is there anyone on here running a tune on the ISX with a PowerMaxx CAC from Detroit Radiator? Any problems?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Detroit Radiator PowerMaxx CAC....
I have no idea about their CAC's, but I have had experience with their rads.
I put a DR replacement rad in my truck a few years ago, the fit and finish pin alignment left a little to be desired. I had to oversize a few of the holes and make a 1" notch in the cage to make it fit. I wasn't too impressed with that, but when you've got non standard stuff, sometimes you have to make do.
After two years it had some small leaks so I pulled it apart to have it repaired. The rad shop called me the next day to come and look. Either they did a piss poor job building it, or they used crap solder on the cooling fins. They were separating from the core tubes. You could used a pair of needle nose pliers and pick an end of fins out and with barely a moderate yank, you could pull the fins out/off of the tubes. You could tell that in sections there was no solder contact. This would not have been a very efficient cooling system, and when I replaced it with a very high quality one I noticed a dramatic difference.
Fearing they have the same quality workmanship in their CAC's, I would avoid them.

This is just my opinion based on the quality of their radiator.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , JMBT
I have the rad and the cac in a W900 Like hammerhead the rad quality is piss poor as it was to be a up grade 4 core, i find that it leaks out the bottom(lower gasket) and the fit did take some modding to get in there. and i will have to take it out again to fix the lower gasket . as for the cac i haven't had any problems with leaks or that, but when i get it tuned up i'm thinking it might be like the duracrap and be restrictive. but i'll have to see as its not tuned yet.
I was thinking of replacing it with a oem or ultraseal but since its not leaking, its not high up on the need to work on list,but if it is restrictive then it is costing some fuel mileage and that a bad thing. and it's just my opinion too :)their rads leave much to be desired
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , JMBT , Waterloo
Thanks for the info guys!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
04-18-2017, (Subject: Detroit Radiator PowerMaxx CAC.... ) 
Stick with OEM CACs... This subject has been beat to death here. Air volume, pressures, none of that is measured in these aftermarket units, you do not know what you are getting. The OEM model was designed for your specific truck to work at peak performance, the aftermarket stuff is nothing but a cheap knock off.

If you are running old iron, this may not be an issue, but with our sensor ladened motors, the CAC is a critical component. I am sure Rawze will chime in on this one. And in regards to DR, I had one of their radiators, and I was a big fan... The radiator was junk, did not fit and was immediately replaced with an OEM model when I discovered the piss poor quality of their workmanship. I no longer recommend them.
replyreply
(04-18-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  ...in regards to DR, I had one of their radiators, and I was a big fan... The radiator was junk, did not fit and was immediately replaced with an OEM model when I discovered the piss poor quality of their workmanship. I no longer recommend them.

Hey Waterloo, you are by no means even close to the 50th guy that I've heard that was a big fan of DR. I'm beginning to get the impression that they used to build a fine product, but that they are now trending downwards quickly, I'm I correct on that?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(04-18-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(04-18-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  ...in regards to DR, I had one of their radiators, and I was a big fan... The radiator was junk, did not fit and was immediately replaced with an OEM model when I discovered the piss poor quality of their workmanship. I no longer recommend them.

Hey Waterloo, you are by no means even close to the 50th guy that I've heard that was a big fan of DR. I'm beginning to get the impression that they used to build a fine product, but that they are now trending downwards quickly, I'm I correct on that?

That is my impression too, and I have been to their headquarters, as it is not far from me. They are great bunch of guys and gals, BUT. I am not impressed any longer with their products, they really have seemed to have dropped the ball. I was looking for an AC condenser, they had one, but I would have had to have Mickey Moused it in. I went and paid triple the price at my International dealer for the correct OEM part and have not looked back, especially after that abortion of a radiator I bought, it did not fit correctly, not impressed. And I would never, EVER buy a CAC from them. OEM on this stuff from now on.
replyreply
Yes their stuff was great when it was made here. but as it is these days my stuff came from south of the border :( and just cheap SHIZZnit..
replyreply
Waterloo: Already to late for that...I have the powermaxx model. Just wondering if it is going to mess up the demandate/tune I am thinking about doing.
I am definitely not saying aftermarket is the way to go. I have had my share of aftermarket crap that was "a direct OEM replacement", yeah right, after you cut, grind, and modify,...sure!
However OEM is not always the best quality either. I have, bought OEM parts that were crap too. Usually when I go pick up parts at the dealer I have to refuse at least one because of a defect. The last trip was a "new" tie rod whose ends leaked worse then the one I was planning to replace because the band around the boots had been crimped wrong at the factory. Most dealers will even tell you, about every 3rd "new" part is bad, and remans are worse.
Anyway, I replaced the original CAC with an OEM, it barely lasted a year, just long enough it had no warranty when it cracked. I saw the powermaxx had a 10yr prorated warranty, and jumped on it, as my arse was still a bit chapped on the OEM to give the dealer another $1100. That however was before I had decided to demandate/tune. Now wondering if I need to put it off until I can replace the CAC with another OEM???

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.