small drop in oil pressure after switch to synthetic blend delo
04-22-2017, (Subject: small drop in oil pressure after switch to synthetic blend delo ) 
small drop in oil pressure after switch to synthetic blend delo
hello everyone im a driver been driving since 05 oil field crude mostly now dry van otr just got a 2012 386 isx 15 with 482486 miles just changed oil last week from factory filled delo to delo synthetic blend and noticed right away small drop in oil pressure at idle fr0om 20 to now about 17 -18 so im worried did i screw up changing what i thought would be an upgrade ,little about the engine has has tube over valvecover so its an 870 right ?i have to idle alot almost everyday to keep batteries charged to run fridge and stuff it idles at 650 but then the very next morning like clockwork it idles up to 760 for about a 17min regen truck never runs hot i pull loads every week ranging from 10,000 lbs to 45,300lbs what would be any sdvice on keeping this engine going for as long as i can also nothing has been changed from factory sa far as emissions go its bone stock you know what i mean any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
replyreply
04-22-2017, (Subject: small drop in oil pressure after switch to synthetic blend delo ) 
RE: small drop in oil pressure after switch to synthetic blend delo
A 2012 386 has a CM2250..it has DPF, SCR, and all of the mandate required by dear leader.......

My 2011 idles at 700rpm, and does the passive regen in the beginning, but doesn't do it for 17 minutes...I suspect that the engine and system needs a good EGR tune-up, and Insite diagnostics....

As for the synthetic, bad choice for the mileage it has on it now...would've been a good idea when it started its neglected life, but I would go back to the mineral 15W-40 and add a gallon of 85W-90 to help with the base.

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , hhow55 , Waterloo
Bad move... Put regular Rotella in and add a gallon of gear lube... I believe your motor calls for GL5, more than likely a CM-2250, where my 08 CM-871 calls for GL4. That synthetic stuff is to thin to lube the top end, the reason we add the gear lube. Sticks to the cam lobes and the other nasty bits... And has the additives that our motors need to survive that have been stripped out of the oil to meet EPA mandates. Brondo, it has electrolytes... . ;-)

And don't idle these things, they are not built for that. Let it cool down and shut it down. If you need to keep things charged up and running, invest in an APU.

And if you still have the mandate, you are pissing your money out the window, as the soot these motors create still require changing the oil at 12,000 miles or less. Even with a by-pass filter, you are still pissing your money away with synthetic. And if you are keeping the mandate, purchase a by pass filter, Amsoil units are cheap and will prolong the life of your soot monster. And don't forget to do the EGR Tuneup. If you drive more than 70,000 to 100,000 miles a year, you might want to make the EGR Tuneup a Bi-Annual event. Roughly $300 to $500, depending on where you purchase your parts. BigRigWorld.com seems to have the best prices for sensors. Just saying.

And check the fuel doser, they go bad and need to be replaced every say 250,000 miles or so with the mandate intact. And keep the old one, there is a $55 core deposit. The doser runs around $200 if memory serves me right, might be a bit more...

Also inspect, and probably remove your SCR system and power wash it out if you have one. Check for leaks and cracks too. They tend to break and will cost you money and down time as the dealership throws tens of thousands of dollars of parts at you... Oh, they never actually fix the problem, but they are happy. Remove and Inspect the SCR box. ;-)

Oh, and plan on replacing your crank shaft damper, Cummins says replace at 500,000 miles, your motor will thank you.

Welcome to the world of EPA Trucking! And this is just the short list... LOL!

I miss the days of a simple Lube, Oil and Filter with regular simple maintenence... Welcome to the world of tomorrow, your party is just getting started, break out your wallet. $$$$$$

I'm in my driveway right now wrenching on mine... Home Depot has one hell of a tool chest for sale, I just went and picked her up... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-66-in-W.../204398429

You will need tools, as the dealerships are raising their rates, and their prices on parts, especially emission related parts. Time to learn mechanics, and computer programming... You will need a Cummins Inline 5 or 6 reader, you can find them on eBay for around $300...

I'm going to stop now... I could go on and on, as more than a few here could... This is not an enjoyable post for me, AS I have been there... I could have a few really nice Pete's sitting in my driveway right now knowing what I know now... My in frame was very costly, $40,000... The truck had 800,000 miles on her... I did a bit more, but only owned the truck for a year, maybe two... I had no clue what I was walking into with these "new" motors and emission systems. :-(

I have driven this truck roughly 2 years out of the 4 I have owned her... Yes, two years downtime, emissions.... You do the math. All I can say is, F YOU EPA. And the manufacturer that cheapened their parts and QC to play games with the government. Would have been nice if they had a set of balls and stood up for their customers. That is the beer talking... But it is the truth.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: scottydogtruck , Rawze
04-23-2017, (Subject: small drop in oil pressure after switch to synthetic blend delo ) 
(04-22-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  ...
That is the beer talking...

That is some wise beer.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , scottydogtruck

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.