EGR Cooler Replacement
04-26-2017, (Subject: EGR Cooler Replacement ) 
EGR Cooler Replacement
Delving into the project of replacing my egr cooler.
1. The flex hose that runs behind the engine looks as though it has one clamp on it toward egr valve side and no clamp on the cooler side. Its there supposed to be 2 clamps?
2. When I run the part for the EGR cooler on google I get part listing for "Genuine Newstar" dealerships nor cummins knows if this is actually oem or after market but havent really heard of it. Can anyone confirm for sure that its after market or not. I want OEM. However if anyone has used this brand and found it to be a wise purchase I'll get it and some on the price as well. Yes I know saving on the price doesnt save me later when I have to replace it again, thats why I'm asking now. Everyone seems to be out of EGR coolers right now so I have a few to look around.
3.. Any installation/ replace tips or tricks that make it easier?
Thanks
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
RE: EGR Cooler Replacement
for EGR cooler -- OEM ONLY!!!. I have seen people destroy engines with after-market egr coolers that had horrible thermal effeciency.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...33#pid2233

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Brock
Have you pressure tested your EGR Cooler? I was had by an International dealership in Bowling Green KY when all I had was a cold leak out of my bottom radiator hose... $2500 later... And I had to call my mom for a CC to pay for it, I was 49 at the time, that did not sit well with me... $4 clamp or an EGR Cooler...? If you do need one, OEM only, Rawze has beat that horse to death, and his logic is beyond sound.

I now own the EGR and CAC test kits... ;-) I hate being a victim.
replyreply
Look on eBay for a new one. The dealer couldn't find a idler gear for my motor a few weeks ago. Cummins told them it would be June 18th before available. Started searching eBay and found a brand new cummins gear. Dealership wasn't allowed to order it so I did. I got 2/3 of my money back from warranty and my truck back 2 months sooner. Must be a problem with cummins and their parts if now you can't get a cooler. I just thought my gear was a fluke
replyreply
(04-26-2017 )Rockycoon75 Wrote:  Look on eBay for a new one. The dealer couldn't find a idler gear for my motor a few weeks ago. Cummins told them it would be June 18th before available. Started searching eBay and found a brand new cummins gear. Dealership wasn't allowed to order it so I did. I got 2/3 of my money back from warranty and my truck back 2 months sooner. Must be a problem with cummins and their parts if now you can't get a cooler. I just thought my gear was a fluke

I have picked up so many parts on eBay it is insane... Last one was a new steering column, from the firewall to the steering box. $150 NIB... Two slightly used OEM 2014 seats, with massage, for my ProStar, $200, and I picked them up, had installed for $100 down the street at the TA... New steering wheel, with controls, $120, slight blem, NIB, $600+ at the stealership. Compass module... Dealer wanted $345, eBay, $19.95, NIB, delivered next day... And don't get me started on the tools... LOL!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , hhow55
04-27-2017, (Subject: EGR Cooler Replacement ) 
(04-26-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Have you pressure tested your EGR Cooler? I was had by an International dealership in Bowling Green KY when all I had was a cold leak out of my bottom radiator hose... $2500 later... And I had to call my mom for a CC to pay for it, I was 49 at the time, that did not sit well with me... $4 clamp or an EGR Cooler...? If you do need one, OEM only, Rawze has beat that horse to death, and his logic is beyond sound.

I now own the EGR and CAC test kits... ;-) I hate being a victim.

Yes sir. Pressured tested the whole thing. Found a few hose leaks. Then tested the CAC and that was good. Once I got the flex hose bolts loose on the egr cooler I put some paper plates under it and re-tested over night and got the floor cover off inside and found a nice puddle the next morning. Then pulled the egr valve and cleaned the crud out of it and made sure the plunger was free to move. It was pretty nasty in there. Since I have an exhaust manifold gasket leaking I'm going to take care of that as well while I'm elbow deep.
And yes OEM IS what I want not aftermarket.
replyreply
04-27-2017, (Subject: EGR Cooler Replacement ) 
(04-26-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(04-26-2017 )Rockycoon75 Wrote:  Look on eBay for a new one.

I have picked up so many parts on eBay it is insane...
This is what I'm trying to figure out. How do you know its OEM. I just looked at some on Ebay but they say Bostech on them. When I Google the part number I get that Genuine Newstar.
replyreply
04-28-2017, (Subject: EGR Cooler Replacement ) 
(04-27-2017 )Grizzly Wrote:  

This is what I'm trying to figure out. How do you know its OEM. I just looked at some on Ebay but they say Bostech on them. When I Google the part number I get that Genuine Newstar.

You have to watch some of the stuff, and I am not familiar with Newstar, looks like Volvo parts from S&S? Bostech looks to be a fuel injector outfit? I don't know what you are looking at.

Normally the resellers of the parts I find on eBay are from actual dealerships or repair shops with overstock or parts that have just sat to long and need to go. You can usually see that through their history of sales, photos or what parts they are selling. My OEM leather wrapped steering wheel was from an International dealer, it had a very very slight blemish in the leather. I doubt I could even find it now, it was that small. My steering shaft, that was from a repair shop from what I could tell... It was new in the box and a third of the price I would have paid at the dealer. It had all of the Navistar markings and labeling with correct numbers and works as advertised. So, I would say keep an eye on who is selling, and what they normally sell, that will give you a good indication of what you are purchasing is OEM or what you expect to get. If the person is selling bras and lingerie, I don't think I would buy a steering shaft from that outfit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Grizzly
04-28-2017, (Subject: EGR Cooler Replacement ) 
(04-28-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(04-27-2017 )Grizzly Wrote:  

You have to watch some of the stuff, and I am not familiar with Newstar, looks like Volvo parts from S&S? Bostech looks to be a fuel injector outfit? I don't know what you are looking at.

Normally the resellers of the parts I find on eBay are from actual dealerships or repair shops with overstock or parts that have just sat to long and need to go. You can usually see that through their history of sales, photos or what parts they are selling. My OEM leather wrapped steering wheel was from an International dealer, it had a very very slight blemish in the leather. I doubt I could even find it now, it was that small. My steering shaft, that was from a repair shop from what I could tell... It was new in the box and a third of the price I would have paid at the dealer. It had all of the Navistar markings and labeling with correct numbers and works as advertised. So, I would say keep an eye on who is selling, and what they normally sell, that will give you a good indication of what you are purchasing is OEM or what you expect to get. If the person is selling bras and lingerie, I don't think I would buy a steering shaft from that outfit.
My gut just says I need to just get here that I can look at on hand. Saving $400 or so on what I dont know what it is, is NOT saving if I have to replace again later. Right? Right.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.