386 steering wheel revolutions
05-27-2017, (Subject: 386 steering wheel revolutions ) 
386 steering wheel revolutions
Does anyone know how many turns the steering wheel turns each way in a 2012 peterbilt 386?
replyreply
RE: 386 steering wheel revolutions
every truck i drove always same. 2.5 turn each way.
replyreply
I got 2.5 to the right but only 1.5 to the left. I think my gearbox is the problem. Are there any adjustments in them? I've took the arm off and still doesn't turn.
replyreply
Measure your steering stop bolts on each side and make sure they are the same length. They should be what stops/ limits the turning action, not the steering gear. If they are the same lift the front end and make sure nothing is binding. If nothing is binding you can look up and follow the procedure for resetting your poppet valves, but you shouldn't need to do that unless it is a gear you just put on?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
Thanks, it doesn't hit the steering stop bolts on either side. I'll try to figure out how to reset the poppets. I just bought the truck and it was like this. It has a new power steering pump and I can see where someone has had the steering gearbox off. The nuts are missing paint where a socket was on them. I've taken the arm off and it still won't turn anymore so I'm pretty sure it's something in the gearbox
replyreply
Make sure pitman arm is timed right on steer box shaft . There should be timing lines on both. One solid off makes a huge difference. I have ran into this my self.
replyreply
Sound like it wasn't done right when it was replace. Some gearboxes only go 2 turns. Mine goes 2 1/4 lock to lock.
replyreply
When I first bought it, I move the arm to get two turns each way. the steering wheel was upside down so I took it to a shop and had it all realigned. They put it right back where it was. I was hoping I could get someone to check their 386 to see how many turns it is supposed to have.
replyreply
Jlow8649: the number of turns may not be the same on all 386's due to different axle weight ratings, tire size, wide trac axle or not, etc... What you want it to do is turn as far as possible, (to maximize your turning radius) without rubbing on anything. If the box came from a different truck, i.e. used, then the poppets probably need to be reset. If it is a TRW TAS gear you can find the "how to" online. Little John also makes a good point to check the pitman arm timing marks. After you have done both of those, set your steering stops, to go as far as possible without touching anything, it will keep you from damaging anything in a tight turn.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.