386 steering wheel revolutions
05-28-2017, (Subject: 386 steering wheel revolutions ) 
RE: 386 steering wheel revolutions
I have never taken one apart like Rawze, but I have put several on, done the initial poppet setup, bled the unit, and so forth, and it isn't too bad of a job. Nothing to be scared of there. You can find all your torque specs online either via the gear manufacturer, TRW, Shepard, ... or the truck manufacturer. I don't think I would shy away from resetting the poppets either if you are mechanically inclined, as from the TRW procedure it does not look like you have to break the unit open, or even remove it from the truck. Just pour over the manual and decide if it is something you want to try. If you are going to replace it and it is a TRW gear, I would strongly reccomend getting a "new" one and not a reman. It seems like about every other reman I have seen is defective. The new one will set you back a few more $$$, but definitely worth it in my opinion.
Some food for thought, my brother bought a used KW one time with a wide trac axle. Before he purchased it some jack wagon at the KW shop had replaced the steering gear, a TRW TAS 65, with a P/N for one that matched the VIN of a KW without a wide trac. For the longest time we couldn't figure out why he didn't have full turning radius. Finally running the VIN we saw it was the wrong steering gear entirely.
Is your Pete a wide trac?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55

Messages In This Thread
RE: 386 steering wheel revolutions - JMBT - 05-28-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.