Soot on my clean hood!
09-23-2017, (Subject: Soot on my clean hood! ) 
RE: Soot on my clean hood!
Normal from my experience, Pete, KW, Volvo all did it. My weedburner, no issues.
replyreply
never thought of it being water in the pipe. got a JD tractor thats real bad about blowing soot specs everywhere when the filters need cleaned. i just assumed the truck was the same way.
replyreply
Something I do to help with this, ahem I mean I've heard being done, is find the low spot of your exhaust piping and drill a 1/8" hole in the bottom to facilitate draining.
If your choice of shop decides to "fail" you for exhaust leak on your annual inspect, just put a sheet metal screw in before you take it over, and remove it after...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Rawze , hhow55 , smorgan87 , big_roy , Old Driver , Waterloo , barf , gatow900 , DDlighttruck
09-24-2017, (Subject: Soot on my clean hood! ) 
(09-23-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  Something I do to help with this, ahem I mean I've heard being done, is find the low spot of your exhaust piping and drill a 1/8" hole in the bottom to facilitate draining.
If your choice of shop decides to "fail" you for exhaust leak on your annual inspect, just put a sheet metal screw in before you take it over, and remove it after...

Exactly what I did with my single t800 exhaust. Never figured the soot was from water though, I just drilled a hole to drain the heavy rain falls out when she sits for a few days.

User's Signature: "KW is my choice of trucks"
replyreply
I thought of drilling that hole for drainage in my exhaust, but after being hospitalized twice for carbon monoxide poisoning, and the last time it really messed me up for a good solid two years, I was not going to chance it again. Now I am extra sensitive to the stuff, and it was not a good experience.

Maybe something like a drop tube you see on gas lines to collect debris, in this case water, with a petcock valve on it would work, but may require some welding. That I could deal with.
replyreply
Yes that X my mind along with a road side inspection ( on my god you have an exhaust leak); so I always put the tapped screw back in upon getting back out. But hole is getting a little worn, :-)

User's Signature: "KW is my choice of trucks"
replyreply
09-25-2017, (Subject: Soot on my clean hood! ) 
(09-24-2017 )Ragindirt Wrote:  Yes that X my mind along with a road side inspection ( on my god you have an exhaust leak); so I always put the tapped screw back in upon getting back out. But hole is getting a little worn, :-)

I wouldn't waste my time putting it back in all the time, after all there are two small drain holes for condensation relief in my DOC and the "after can" that is "in" from the DPF and "out" via the stacks.
If the OEM can do it, why can't I?
Better point, prove I did it and not the OEM.
I understand Waterloo's concern after already having a bad CO hit, but check your DPF housing, it may have the same 2 small holes mine has. I don't think a hole that small would be a major CO concern.
This is why I have a smoke and CO alarm in my truck.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
09-25-2017, (Subject: Soot on my clean hood! ) 
Co alarm in the truck, that's a great idea
And I 2nd the hole in the can, I know my cat has one for sure..... never checked the Cummins.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.