cm2250 3375 2639
06-16-2017, (Subject: cm2250 3375 2639 ) 
RE: cm2250 3375 2639
There is another piece of Insite software that sole purpose is to test the aftertreatment system. I believe it is called DESA. I would download/install that to help with your diagnosis. You can e-mail Cummins for a free one year password to unlock the DESA software.

My truck set 3375 and 2754 (which is basically the same thing) a year ago. I pulled the DPF and cleaned it out myself.

My thread:
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=674

However, after cleaning, the codes came back the next day and the truck was regening every 50 miles or so. I gave up and figured I would send the truck to the dealer. That way I could rent a truck and continue working. The dealer cleaned the DPF again and flow tested it. It all passed. However, while they were running some tests and sending the info to Cummins, Cummins told them to replace the turbo, DOC, and DPF. I asked the service manager why did they replace those parts, his answer, because Cummins told us to.

Only reason I could think of is that something in the turbo was leaking oil down the exhaust. Shaft seal maybe? This contaminated the DOC and DPF, rendering them useless, even though the DOC and DPF flow tested fine.

My advice though, get that old style fuel pump off of there and get a new one ASAP. The old style pump is basically a grenade with the pin halfway removed bolted to the side of your engine block. If that pump fails, there is a good chance that the engine will turn to scrap metal. If the damage is severe enough, you can't even inframe it. Happened to another O/O I know. Punched a hole right through the block with less than 200k miles. Needed a complete engine.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: alexkyle
(06-16-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  ...
Cummins told them to replace the turbo, DOC, and DPF

that is some mighty expensive guessing there thats sole purpose is to make them money. How about instead ...

Pressure test the turbo oil circuit for leakage by capping the oil lines and pressurizing them to about 60 psi. I know Mr. Hag has done this a few times and it seems to be an effective method for determining turbo leakage in the exhaust and/or intake side.

Also,.. the Cm2250's and 2350's are known for valve guide seals to leak oil into the exhaust. nothing like mis-diagnosing oil leak issues into the exhaust system by throwing the most expensive parts they can think of at the truck without any kind of actual justification eh?

I would have told cummins to shove that blind guess-work at the expense of some truck owners hard earned money right up their poop-shoot sideways and come up with a better testing method that involves actual troubleshooting and diagnosis!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , snailexpress , zyNoT , scottydogtruck , alexkyle , fargonaz
I sure hope that invoice went to Cummins' Warranty Dept.
A VGT, DOC, & DPF...I wanna cry.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
It was covered under warranty. If it wasn't I would have taken it somewhere else. Sorry, not paying $10k+ just because Cummins said so.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
I have a buddy with an ISX15 CM2250. They can be pretty troublesome when regarding the DPF and DOC. If you are getting regens all the time, I always check IMAP and exhaust sensors first. Then next usually I look at the aftertreatment doser injector and either clean or replace it. If it's been awhile, I'd recommend replacing it. EGR valve may need cleaning as well.

To be honest, the CM2250 regens like crap. It's hard to drive while it's in regen status. I'm being honest here, I'd rather delete this stuff then keep maintaining it. Not because of pure laziness but just the upkeep is a lot of work and frequently too.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: alexkyle
06-17-2017, (Subject: cm2250 3375 2639 ) 
(06-16-2017 )zyNoT Wrote:  ....It's hard to drive while it's in regen status......

I agree. For me it's difficult to time the shifts when it regens in traffic. I wish I could push a button to delay the regen until I get to the highway.

I can't wait to not see that "REGEN IN PROGRESS" message on my instrument cluster.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.