Who can tune this thing right?!
06-29-2017, (Subject: Who can tune this thing right?! ) 
RE: Who can tune this thing right?!
I am pulling the head this weekend, I have the ever so common oil leaks at the head, also last week I noticed it was loading up the manifold with oil. the flange gasket was wet and I could smell burning oil. I had a lot of idle time last week. I figure valve seals are leaking. I have seen it said many times to get a new head, but cummins said they don't offer new any longer. I have a good machine shop, I kinda think I'm better off to build my own head. One question though. I had the deregulation done by a well known member. it's set at 575 or 565 should I time the cams according to stock cpl# or should I do something different?
replyreply
(06-29-2017 )Roysbigtoys Wrote:  
(06-29-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-29-2017 )un_yun Wrote:  thanks for the reply. I run any where from 100k to 130k so nothing like you have. I haven't had any problems, yet. The turbo does seem to squeal if I come down a steep down grade and start back up the other side. If I back out of the fuel and drop the boost and ease back into it, it stops. I guess it just needs a second to change the vane pitch.

99.5% of the time a turbo squeal is a manifold or turbo mounting gasket issue and not the turbo itself.

I have the same issue.......turbo squeals after going down a down hill grade and then stepping back into the throttle.
What's the best way to check manifold or turbo gaskets?

I don't think it's a gasket. if you notice when it does it,the turbo spools really quick. once you easy off the fuel, boost drops. then if you ease back into it, it spools normal. I think it comes from closing up for the jakes, it takes a moment to read everything and the change the position. and being and air actuated it just takes a second or two. I have no squeal any other time in high boost.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Roysbigtoys
(06-29-2017 )un_yun Wrote:  I am pulling the head this weekend, I have the ever so common oil leaks at the head, also last week I noticed it was loading up the manifold with oil. the flange gasket was wet and I could smell burning oil. I had a lot of idle time last week. I figure valve seals are leaking. I have seen it said many times to get a new head, but cummins said they don't offer new any longer. I have a good machine shop, I kinda think I'm better off to build my own head. One question though. I had the deregulation done by a well known member. it's set at 575 or 565 should I time the cams according to stock cpl# or should I do something different?

Stock cam timing. If you intend to alter cam timing, you should be an advanced tuning programmer as every calculation will then be "off" in the ECM and you would need to now which corrections to make, and how to make them.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: un_yun
(06-29-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(06-29-2017 )un_yun Wrote:  I am pulling the head this weekend, I have the ever so common oil leaks at the head, also last week I noticed it was loading up the manifold with oil. the flange gasket was wet and I could smell burning oil. I had a lot of idle time last week. I figure valve seals are leaking. I have seen it said many times to get a new head, but cummins said they don't offer new any longer. I have a good machine shop, I kinda think I'm better off to build my own head. One question though. I had the deregulation done by a well known member. it's set at 575 or 565 should I time the cams according to stock cpl# or should I do something different?

Stock cam timing. If you intend to alter cam timing, you should be an advanced tuning programmer as every calculation will then be "off" in the ECM and you would need to now which corrections to make, and how to make them.
so stock injectors too then? I just didn't know since this wasn't stock programing if I should change anything while I'm in there. I've got no complaints, just want to do what's best for my bread and butter.
replyreply
(06-29-2017 )un_yun Wrote:  so stock injectors too then? I just didn't know since this wasn't stock programing if I should change anything while I'm in there. I've got no complaints, just want to do what's best for my bread and butter.

Once again I'd say "stock" unless you are an advanced tuner. The FTT tables are all calculated out in milliseconds of opening of the timing and metering selenoids that feed the injectors. Changing injectors changes volumes and spray angles, without knowing how to recalculate these tables properly would most certainly result in catastrophic failure.
Like Rawze says, why lie to the ECM. Give it the correct information to make the proper calibrations and compensations, then just tell it what you want it to do and let it do it while it uses all the proper information and is capable of protecting itself from failure.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: un_yun
i can tell you without a doubt, changing to bigger cams and injectors in a isx takes alot of consideration and digging through cals to transplant the proper values. It is not near as easy as a CAT.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: un_yun , Brock , Rawze , Hammerhead , hhow55
07-02-2017, (Subject: Who can tune this thing right?! ) 
LOL
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.