Who can tune this thing right?!
06-15-2017, (Subject: Who can tune this thing right?! ) 
RE: Who can tune this thing right?!
Didn't mean to get a pissing match started and for that I'm sorry..... Just for looking for some help before I run it off a cliff and buy a pre 99 truck and never look back...
replyreply
06-15-2017, (Subject: Who can tune this thing right?! ) 
(06-15-2017 )Bighorn1 Wrote:  Didn't mean to get a pissing match started and for that I'm sorry..... Just for looking for some help before I run it off a cliff and buy a pre 99 truck and never look back...

No worries .. It is a healthy argument that has been debated on this forum over and over because I always say the same thing when someone comes on here and says they axed their VG for a fixed turbo. -- Debates like this give people a chance to see both sides of an opinion. i really could give a damn what someone does to their truck but I can tell for sure, that of those people who undid that (what I call a mistake) that I have met, every single one of them said the drivability, fuel mileage and everything else was better and worth the conversion back to something that could be controlled could not be when it was done right.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Zapah , Wiseman , Bighorn1 , barf
06-21-2017, (Subject: Who can tune this thing right?! ) 
In answer to your original question, Bighorn1, contact Gear Head. He can hook you up either direction you choose to go with a turbo.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rig Wrench
06-28-2017, (Subject: Who can tune this thing right?! ) 
you would recommend a fixed vane on a heavy haul unit? I look at the dependability, cost of replacement factor. not just the turbo, but the actuator too. it's a big freaking deal if it pukes out while I am under a big load. I am running an 870 though, so I guess not as complicated as an 871. As far as jakes go, I always down shift, hell my last truck didn't have jakes. I have the vg, just interested in know what application you would recommend a holset turbo?
replyreply
06-28-2017, (Subject: Who can tune this thing right?! ) 
I strongly recommend you read and understand basic differences between cm570 , cm870 , cm871 and their ECM management . Here is more than enough information to get you thinking on your own . And of course you'll find out that out there's very few people that can make it run right . And I mean it ! Very few .
Than you're not going to have any trouble to make your own choice which way to go .
replyreply
06-29-2017, (Subject: Who can tune this thing right?! ) 
(06-28-2017 )un_yun Wrote:  you would recommend a fixed vane on a heavy haul unit? I look at the dependability, cost of replacement factor. not just the turbo, but the actuator too. it's a big freaking deal if it pukes out while I am under a big load. I am running an 870 though, so I guess not as complicated as an 871. As far as jakes go, I always down shift, hell my last truck didn't have jakes. I have the vg, just interested in know what application you would recommend a holset turbo?

Depends on your definition of "heavy haul", and what your typical application is.
I run 150-190,000lbs GVW for a living. I long haul heavy equipment predominantly, always with a jeep & booster, which means I deadhead stacked up about 40-45% of my annual miles. My "empty" is most people's average loaded. I'm 64,500 to 72,000 unless it's the full Monty @ 81,000lbs empty depending on configuration and sections.
With all that being said, I WAY more than make up any slight gains a fixed vane turbo would give me loaded while I'm empty with the VGT on my 871.
I have a few buddies that run 2250's doing the same thing I do for a living, and I think the reflected heat issues of the smaller turbos on them is what leads to longevity issues. I've tried telling them they should consider switching to a small 871 turbo and run low closing rates to keep the boost and volume down just to eliminate the reflected heat issue, but they look at me like I'm talking about unicorns and pixie dust, you can lead a horse to water...
My point is, unless you're running over 200k GVW, I don't think you run enough average torque load to statistically make it worth the time investment in the R&D to get it right. I have the HE551VE and with my tune the max closing is 48%, so needless to say my turbo isn't working very hard.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: un_yun
thanks for the reply. I run any where from 100k to 130k so nothing like you have. I haven't had any problems, yet. The turbo does seem to squeal if I come down a steep down grade and start back up the other side. If I back out of the fuel and drop the boost and ease back into it, it stops. I guess it just needs a second to change the vane pitch.
replyreply
(06-29-2017 )un_yun Wrote:  thanks for the reply. I run any where from 100k to 130k so nothing like you have. I haven't had any problems, yet. The turbo does seem to squeal if I come down a steep down grade and start back up the other side. If I back out of the fuel and drop the boost and ease back into it, it stops. I guess it just needs a second to change the vane pitch.

99.5% of the time a turbo squeal is a manifold or turbo mounting gasket issue and not the turbo itself.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: un_yun , Roysbigtoys , hhow55 , Techmech , Stir
(06-29-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-29-2017 )un_yun Wrote:  thanks for the reply. I run any where from 100k to 130k so nothing like you have. I haven't had any problems, yet. The turbo does seem to squeal if I come down a steep down grade and start back up the other side. If I back out of the fuel and drop the boost and ease back into it, it stops. I guess it just needs a second to change the vane pitch.

99.5% of the time a turbo squeal is a manifold or turbo mounting gasket issue and not the turbo itself.

I have the same issue.......turbo squeals after going down a down hill grade and then stepping back into the throttle.
What's the best way to check manifold or turbo gaskets?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.