Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change...
01-04-2018, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
RE: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change...
(01-03-2018 )strydtrans1 Wrote:  I see this as true. My dad use to say when your car starts getting up there in miles you want to use a heavier oil. Why wouldn't you start doing the same thing with your truck!? Curious would you do this from the get go on a brand new truck?

I think you need to reread the article, the explanation is in there...
It is because the EPA is making the oil manufacturers lower/remove/eliminate the key additives from engine oil. They have not yet started to do that on gear oil because of two reasons;
1) Gear oil isn't used in the crankcase, therefore eliminating the risk of the additives being burned and "contaminating" the atmosphere
2) Gear oil isn't changed on a regular basis like engine oil because the areas it's being used in aren't full of soot, combustion gasses, etc. so it has a longer life, thus low volumes in recycle depots hasn't caught their attention yet

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... - Hammerhead - 01-04-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.