2003 ISX suggestions needed
08-06-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
RE: 2003 ISX suggestions needed
Up in Canada, Canadian Tire tools are great tools for the "in the truck" kit. They are lifetime warranty, and there are locations everywhere up here to get replacements. They also sell individual stuff to restock the pieces you will eventually lose from the kit. I've also got one of their "cheap" multi-meters in the truck. I also pack C-T torque wrenches in the truck for roadside/parking lot jobs.
I constantly watch eBay, Kijiji, and general google searches for used tools and deals all the time. I just found a 3162991 Jake brake breakout diagnostic tool on eBay for $150 with one broken switch, Cummins wanted >CA$700 for it here. Took it apart when it got here and found the part number for the switch and ordered one for $5.23...shipping is gonna cost more, but I'll have a $700 tool for under $200.
Deciding what to pack for tools and spares is a never ending decision. After owning trucks since 1993, I still haven't made up my mind yet...
My extra engine oil, hydraulic oil, coolant, and W/W fluid is carried in gasoline jerry cans, takes up less room for more quantity, and they don't wear out or get leaky holes as easily.

I'm also not above going to buy cheapy whatever I need to do a job tools and supplies on the road either. That's why I have five 5 gallon pail pumps. Only got one from home...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Waterloo
08-06-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 

I do have boost and pyro gauges, the pyro gauge isn't wired for a light though. It might be there and just need to be hooked up. Why the air cleaner gauge is pegged to the right, who knows. I was told just change the filters every 6-10 months and not worry about it, but we'll see.

I forgot tomorrow is that stupid holiday so I can't pick up parts that I ordered. There's plenty else to do but I had hoped to keep going in the direction I was going. I hate switching jobs and leaving things undone. I guess I'll start on the Davco and 1/4 fenders and saddle boxes instead tomorrow.

Seriously thinking of losing the passenger seat for a tool box.

Those were kinda a pain to load, they threw cardboard boxes under all of them. Got out the 1" and 2" straps, total of 19 straps I think. Not bad all in all.

My best score was a full set of Snap On 3/4 drive sockets, ratchet, extensions, and 1" through 1 5/16" wrenches, all snap on, for $400 off kijiji.

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , fargonaz , Hammerhead
08-09-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
Going out loaded 73K gross and running hard I got 5.2mpg (US gallons). Coming home, light foot loaded light, it came up to 6 mpg. I don't think that's horrible?

Finally got the right intake temp sensor from Cummins this morning, so that's installed. I guess next step is an overhead and PM Gearhead about tuning it.

Yesterday fiddling around fixing lights had a stick on the brake pedal. Found a brake diaphragm leaking. I knew I had an under the cab leak too, figured the vise grips fell off that cab air line bag. No LH turn or LH brakes. Shop threw on a new wire from the cab back, new brake diaphragm and turns out the secondary air tank is the leak. So luckily IH had one in stock got it changed after I finished loading. What a day.
Davco is mounted, new filter, and all clean inside. I'll wait until I'm back at the shop before plumbing the lines, they are there but I'm kinda superstitious about taking a truck apart while in the middle of a run. Leave it alone and finish the run.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Waterloo
08-09-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
I forgot- truck is a 13 speed, has a full headache rack for flatbed work, 3.70 gear ratios, and 11R24.5 rubber. She's chunky for a midroof.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
08-19-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 

Picked that up off ebay for $225. Customs and shipping and the exchange rate made it closer to $350 but if it works I'd think that's a deal.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Waterloo
(08-19-2017 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  Picked that up off ebay for $225. Customs and shipping and the exchange rate made it closer to $350 but if it works I'd think that's a deal.

Excellent move. The first trip you avoid to the stealership will pay for it, no question!
Just remember, the computer you set Insite up with is A TOOL NOT A TOY! Do not connect it to the internet, you don't want to risk putting a virus into your ECM.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck , Waterloo
(08-19-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(08-19-2017 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  Picked that up off ebay for $225. Customs and shipping and the exchange rate made it closer to $350 but if it works I'd think that's a deal.

Excellent move. The first trip you avoid to the stealership will pay for it, no question!
Just remember, the computer you set Insite up with is A TOOL NOT A TOY! Do not connect it to the internet, you don't want to risk putting a virus into your ECM.

Can I get away with Powerspec? Or is Insite that much better?
Yes thinking of getting a second laptop just for Insite, for the reason you mentioned. Thanks!

replyreply
You need Insite... To much going on in these motors.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.