2003 ISX suggestions needed
07-24-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
RE: 2003 ISX suggestions needed
(07-24-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(07-23-2017 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  Why? Just because, or are they common sensors to fail? So four sensors in all you would recommend replacing?

Hi DD, welcome to the dark side...we will shine the light for ya...lol
An ECM is an Electronic Control Module, or "computer", and like any computer it's only as good as the information you give it, lie to it and put shi#t in, get shithouse lies out. Give it good information and it will have a good reliable output, that simple.
Sensors degrade over time, and after about 200k miles the degradation is enough that the improvements (fuel econ, power, etc.) from new sensors will easily recover the costs of the sensors.
I know you're from Ontario, so if you run south {shop name removed. no longer recommended} and shouldn't be too hard to get to for you. Your wasting your time going to Cummins. If you get out to AB, drop me a line and we'll meet up if I'm around.
As far as your driving style, around here we won't sugar coat it, if you drive hard and constantly want "more", expect to get blasted for it...
Wanting to "pass everything while going uphill" is fine when you're a brain dead company driver, but now that you own it and PAY for the REPAIRS, your new mantra is; I don't care if I'm the last one up the hill, as long as I'm the first one away from the fuel pumps and don't go to the shop for anything other than annual inspections! That's the key to success right there.

I ordered an IMAP, the rear exhaust pressure sensor, and the differential pressure sensor today. I asked about the second sensor on the intake and he wasn't sure about it. The two in the first picture, the one on the right is my IMAP? I'll find out when I pick it up but I'd like to order the other one.

On the second photo, what's the larger pipe going straight down? I believe the other one is to the AC compressor.

Third pic, their are two lines going over to the exhaust pressure sensor. Take both off to clean or just the one steel one?

I finished watching the tune up videos today at a job sight, but it's all focused on the CM871. Mine being a CM870 its on the other side/looks different. Heading in now to look for carb cleaner. Looking forward to tearing into this when I have time.

Thanks, all.

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
You can go to quickserve.cummins.com, and register your engine serial number, and find a wealth of info for your motor. And it won't cost anything.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , DDlighttruck
(07-24-2017 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  I ordered an IMAP, the rear exhaust pressure sensor, and the differential pressure sensor today. I asked about the second sensor on the intake and he wasn't sure about it. The two in the first picture, the one on the right is my IMAP? I'll find out when I pick it up but I'd like to order the other one.

On the second photo, what's the larger pipe going straight down? I believe the other one is to the AC compressor.

Third pic, their are two lines going over to the exhaust pressure sensor. Take both off to clean or just the one steel one?

I finished watching the tune up videos today at a job sight, but it's all focused on the CM871. Mine being a CM870 its on the other side/looks different. Heading in now to look for carb cleaner. Looking forward to tearing into this when I have time.

Thanks, all.

There is no IMAP (Intake Manifold Air Pressure and temperature sensor) for the CM870. Instead there are the intake pressure sensor and intake temp sensors separately. Here is a pic ...

And the exhaust back-pressure sensor...

and the "Magic Plug" located right next to the fuel filter on the intake side that shuts down/closes the EGR when unplugged...

And the Delta-P sensor hidden behind everything next to the electric fuel pump. it has 2 tubes that feed it that like to clog up too.

Tags:
cm870 sensors, cm870, cm870 tune-up, cm870 intake, cm870 exhaust sensor, cm870 bp sensor, cm870 imap, cm870 intake pressure sensor, cm870 egr tune-up

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , DDlighttruck , Baco74
(07-24-2017 )hhow55 Wrote:  You can go to quickserve.cummins.com, and register your engine serial number, and find a wealth of info for your motor. And it won't cost anything.

Do this ^ DD, it's the single greatest resource there is. You qualify for the "Limited Owners Plan" which as hhow said is free.
With Q/S you can look up everything, anything, and then the step by step detailed procedures to do everything from enter codes to find out what they mean, to step by step how to completely disassemble and reassemble your engine.

The video series is for the CM871, but it's the same thing for an 870. Some of the sensors may be different or in different locations, but other than a DPF and an electronic VGT actuator ipo air, they are very much the same.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , DDlighttruck
07-26-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
Thanks, called IH back and the guy working on my quote took a second look and found the intake temp sensor. So it's ordered as well and should be in. So that should be all four sensors to pick up hopefully Friday night

replyreply
(07-24-2017 )hhow55 Wrote:  You can go to quickserve.cummins.com, and register your engine serial number, and find a wealth of info for your motor. And it won't cost anything.
Working on that now, thanks!! Called Nexiq today to get the part number for the kit. I knew I'd get sick of having to rely on techs to plug in. For whatever reason both tool trucks I use can't get me one.

replyreply
(07-26-2017 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  Working on that now, thanks!! Called Nexiq today to get the part number for the kit. I knew I'd get sick of having to rely on techs to plug in. For whatever reason both tool trucks I use can't get me one.

Go find a Chinese Inline 5 w/Insite on eBay instead. Some guys seem to find Nexiq's flaky.
You don't want flaky on your engine ECM.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck
07-28-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 

I at least cleaned the intake temp sensor the other day. They ordered in the wrong one, the right one is pricy at $350. Should be in Monday.

See what all we can get done tomorrow.

replyreply
07-28-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
Although my engine is different, I have a 2250, I was having issues with turbo cough. Randomly while climbing a hill, the boost would hover right around 30 psi or so, turbo would cough, boost would drop to around 15 psi, and then climb back up to the low 20's. Sometimes the boost would go no higher than 20 psi all day. No check engine lights. Nothing. Using information from this forum, I decided to replace the sensors that directly deal with boost information to the ECU (Thinking that incorrect information was being sent to the ECU) I replaced the IMAP and the Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor. Turbo cough is gone. Fuel mileage is up. Boost pressure is back up and truck is running great, for now.

I know it may sound silly to replace sensors even though the truck is not telling you that anything is wrong, aka Check Engine Light. Cummins Quickserve even says that you should not replace the IMAP just because it has soot in it. But, the sensors on these engines get covered in soot and start sending false information to the ECU. They should be replaced as preventative maintenance.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.