2003 ISX suggestions needed
07-29-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
RE: 2003 ISX suggestions needed
Dude, I hear you on Saturday! LOL! Been in that boat one to many times with this money pit of mine... Sometimes it is just better to take it to the shop. Hey, they do this every day, we get out there with a few beers and oooooops! LOL!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck
07-30-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
(07-29-2017 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  <snip>...The EGR differential tomorrow, and look for the delta P.

FYI
Delta P is the technical term for Pressure Differential.
An EGR Differential Pressure Sensor is an EGR Delta P sensor.
The DPF Differential Pressure Sensor is a DPF Delta P sensor.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
That sensor not plugged in. Was this engine out of a different truck. Seems I remember it was a 870 in a truck that had a 871. Maybe that's why. No wiring for a sensor there. Just a guess.
replyreply
(07-30-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(07-29-2017 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  <snip>...The EGR differential tomorrow, and look for the delta P.

FYI
Delta P is the technical term for Pressure Differential.
An EGR Differential Pressure Sensor is an EGR Delta P sensor.
The DPF Differential Pressure Sensor is a DPF Delta P sensor.

Hmmm ok. Rawze posted pics of a delta p on page 2. Then that clears that up, I know where the differential pressure sensor is just need to change it today. Thanks

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
(07-29-2017 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  Its already cleaned and back together. I chickened out on the metal tube leading to the exhaust pressure sensor, I know how to do it, cut the tube off, heat it up, use a ratchet and a socket to spin it out. BUT if that doesn't work, then on a Saturday I'm stuck. I'll leave it and let a shop do it when there is time. Then if it doesn't work it's their problem. I need to go to work on Monday.

The EGR differential tomorrow, and look for the delta P.

Thanks for the heads up on future repairs Waterloo

That metal tube can break easily when removing it if it has been there a long time. An alternative to removing it is to remove the exhaust BP sensor (keeping it plugged in after you remove it) and spray a bit of brake cleaner into the hole where it mounts. Crank the engine up and watch for the brake cleaner to spray back out. If it does, the tube is not clogged.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , DDlighttruck
08-02-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
Got the metal tube changed the other night. That other intake temp sensor is in need to pick it up when I'm back. Changed the rear axle temp sensor to try and get it working, the two pins inside were lodged in the wiring plug. So ordered a new harness for back there.

Truck tonight was holding boost pulling grades. I'm grossing 73,000 pounds on headed to Iowa. So a fairly long run to give it a chance to work. Changed that coolant level sensor too it is bliss running with no check engine light flickering.

Theres so much stuff on a big truck to maintain or fix or learn about. I got grease for the auto greaser last week, and picked up a couple repair fittings today, there's one leak I need to fix. Picked up a used Davco 382 yesterday, there was one on the truck but it was damaged and removed last year when they did the motor. Picked up a bypass oil filter for it that I want to get on. Toolboxes to mount. The list just keeps going, and that doesnt include the stuff that breaks. Did the belt tensioner in a parking lot last week, the belt was getting chewed off it, put on a used spare belt and seeing it it gets chewed up too.

Thanks for the help gents.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Old Driver , Hammerhead , Rawze , Waterloo , fargonaz
08-02-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
Nice to see someone new to being an O/O that has some self initiative instead of just a "I'll drop it off at the stealershit" attitude.
That mentality will take you far, and drastically increases your odds of success.
As a guy who changed injectors in a parking lot chasing ghosts, hearing someone else tackling things in a parking lot makes me smile...you sound like the kind of guy I would enjoy being parked next to for the weekend.
FYI, @snailexpress brought tools along to help me with the parking lot injector job, so you're in good company with quality people who pay it forward. There isn't much I wouldn't do for any member of this site.

Hey DD, have you read this http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1982 yet?
If you haven't done so yet, get yourself a laptop and a Chinese Inline adapter, it will pay for itself almost instantly and is literally the equivalent of a 1/2" wrench when it comes to these motors in its common use. If I'd have known then what I know now, I'd have had one years ago...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , DDlighttruck
08-04-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
(08-02-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  Nice to see someone new to being an O/O that has some self initiative instead of just a "I'll drop it off at the stealershit" attitude.
That mentality will take you far, and drastically increases your odds of success.
As a guy who changed injectors in a parking lot chasing ghosts, hearing someone else tackling things in a parking lot makes me smile...you sound like the kind of guy I would enjoy being parked next to for the weekend.
FYI, @snailexpress brought tools along to help me with the parking lot injector job, so you're in good company with quality people who pay it forward. There isn't much I wouldn't do for any member of this site.

Hey DD, have you read this http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1982 yet?
If you haven't done so yet, get yourself a laptop and a Chinese Inline adapter, it will pay for itself almost instantly and is literally the equivalent of a 1/2" wrench when it comes to these motors in its common use. If I'd have known then what I know now, I'd have had one years ago...
I took a short look on ebay at the chinese inline 5 you had mentioned. I have a laptop and printer in the truck already. It is kind of the next in line purchase. Just need to narrow down a good one.
It's all about making the run. I drove from Toronto to Indiana with about 4 ribs left on the belt, praying it would make it. It did, delivered and then fixed the truck. There's some stuff I know I can't do yet, and some stuff that just isn't practical to do in a parking lot. I generally will try to do most of the repairs, but some stuff I don't have the time for either. I did one kingpin myself to get it through the safety, but the other side I had the shop do when I was up north for a week. Yes I can do it but then I sacrifice some down time. I bit the bullet and paid a guy $250 to bring me coolant a couple weeks back. Blew a hose, cut it shorter and re-attached it, but only had a gallon with me. Hence wanting to add a second saddlebox. $250 for 3 gallons of coolant and 3 gallons of water is cheaper than a tow but still.
I'm trying hard to find a balance right now. Recently it's been drive all week wrench all weekend. I don't see that changing for awhile.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , fargonaz
08-04-2017, (Subject: 2003 ISX suggestions needed ) 
(08-04-2017 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  I took a short look on ebay at the chinese inline 5 you had mentioned. I have a laptop and printer in the truck already. It is kind of the next in line purchase. Just need to narrow down a good one.
It's all about making the run. I drove from Toronto to Indiana with about 4 ribs left on the belt, praying it would make it. It did, delivered and then fixed the truck. There's some stuff I know I can't do yet, and some stuff that just isn't practical to do in a parking lot. I generally will try to do most of the repairs, but some stuff I don't have the time for either. I did one kingpin myself to get it through the safety, but the other side I had the shop do when I was up north for a week. Yes I can do it but then I sacrifice some down time. I bit the bullet and paid a guy $250 to bring me coolant a couple weeks back. Blew a hose, cut it shorter and re-attached it, but only had a gallon with me. Hence wanting to add a second saddlebox. $250 for 3 gallons of coolant and 3 gallons of water is cheaper than a tow but still.
I'm trying hard to find a balance right now. Recently it's been drive all week wrench all weekend. I don't see that changing for awhile.

Welcome to truck ownership. Getting a used truck is like getting a used house that had bad tenants that wrecked it. - Used trucks just don't generally get sold that are profitable out of the gate. It takes time and effort to get them back to some reasonable glory where they don't nickel you to death.

Keeping after as much of this as possible places as much money as possible in your pocket instead of someone else's hands. Your goals should be 2 fold...

1) To drive it like you own it, manage time very well so that you can drive the LOWEST speeds, fuel consumption, and wear in every possible way. Installing Boost and pyro gauges (on the outside of the manifold like in my videos) help you learn and be good at this. Managing time very well allows you to slow down and become more profitable too.

2) Learn to maintain and repair it yourself as much as possible. Last I checked, tools were a lot cheaper than a mechanic. Get on top of the maintenance and stay there to keep downtime and unpredictable expenses to a minimum.

Doing those 2 things well = money you can build up in the bank (I recommend for people to keep a goal of about $30k in reserve in the bank ) for that day the engine lets go, or the day you need a new clutch, or tranny, etc. You are running a business, keep it on a solid foundation and it will always be good to you. Make profitable decisions with long term goals in mind and place all the power hungry glory and typical BS aside that others do. There is no profit in that.

If you want to learn about your truck and trucking business in general, this place is a good place to learn. I don't allow false BS on here or things that will waste peoples money. This forum is about helping people as genuinely as possible and not taking something from them like other places do. That is why the site is free, and it is the thousands of members on here that have already been through the O/O hardships that can give the best advice.

Take that advice and those stories you will find here and use them to grow what you know. That is what it is all about. How profitable someone in trucking is per truck long term says a lot about the advice they try to give to others. Follow along with those people who are the most profitable per truck already and they will all say the same thing that I just did... > "Learn to slow down, fix your own s$it, and invest in the tools and equipment necessary to become as self sufficient as possible".

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , DDlighttruck , fargonaz , scottydogtruck

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.